Greasing a pan, question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dragnlaw

Site Team
Staff member
When you read a recipe and the first thing said in the instructions are "Grease the pan".
What do you use?
Something different for different foods?
It used to be we used Crisco or Lard, but seeing as that has gone out of favour, what do you use?

I ask because yesterday I made those brownies. I used a spray can of vegie oil. Normally I would use a lard but it was in the pantry and I'd already made 3 trips there and back. :confused:

I use an inexpensive cooking spray or a dab of canola oil wiped on with my fingers or a bit of paper towel.

When baking I often add a tablespoon of flour or the dry baking mix and shake it around the greased pan.

I have vegetable oil, olive oil and baking (oil & flour) sprays in my cabinet, so I usually use one of those, depending on what I'm making.

I always considered sprays indicated a lazy cook. No, no, no! Golly, I was wrong.
The coverage is more even, there is no taste added unless you want it as in the case of olive oil spray, and nothing sticks to the pan.
Like Medtran, I use butter wrappers to grease flat sheets for roasting vegetables.

This Miracle Pan Release recipe is similar to Baker's Joy spray.

½ cup all-purpose flour
½ cup vegetable shortening
½ cup vegetable oil

Beat with a hand mixer until fluffy and smooth.
Store in the pantry or refrigerate.
Use within a couple of months.

most of the recipes I've dealt with specify:
- grease the pan
or
- grease and flour the pan
so, there is some difference, maybe, perhaps, whatever?

I don't use sprays.
few drops of veg/safflower/olive oil, rub around with fingers, done.

stuff which is to have a crispy crust and baked in a glass dish . . .
stick of butter rubbed around, re-rubbed with fingers to ensure complete coverage.

I use a parchment paper sling for baked goods.
Baker's Joy for my Bundt cakes.
+2 for re-using Butter wrappers.
Spray non-propellant Olive Oil when Air Frying when called for (I spray the food but not the AF basket).
and a tip I found long ago, when using a spray of any kind, wait until you're just about to pour in the batter/add to the AF.

I use a parchment paper sling for baked goods.
Baker's Joy for my Bundt cakes.
+2 for re-using Butter wrappers.
Spray non-propellant Olive Oil when Air Frying when called for (I spray the food but not the AF basket).
and a tip I found long ago, when using a spray of any kind, wait until you're just about to pour in the batter/add to the AF.
Do you use your own spray bottle for the olive oil? If so, do you have any tricks to keep them from getting clogged?

<Snip>

When baking I often add a tablespoon of flour or the dry baking mix and shake it around the greased pan.

Use cocoa powder if you are baking something chocolate.
I like both of those ideas. I have only ever used flour, but part of the baking mix sounds like a good idea and so does the cocoa powder with chocolate.

I use parchment-for pancakes, potatoes, cauliflower wings, bread, forming polenta, breads, crackers, browning tofu....
I used a spray once in the past 4 years, for mung bean omelets. i think it might work with parchment in the oven too.

Do you use your own spray bottle for the olive oil? If so, do you have any tricks to keep them from getting clogged?
No, I tried those re-fillable spray bottle and they're too much a PITA!
Our greengrocer sells spray bottles of the non-propellant Olive Oil, I don't use alot, so I've had this same bottle for quite some time.

Apologies. Coming to this a little late, but in answer to the original question... when it says to grease the pan, I generally put a small dob of butter on a bit of kitchen paper and smear it around the baking tin. Seems to work. (Very little butter required!)

But here's my question. People have baked bread and cakes for centuries - they didn't have non-stick pans or greaseproof paper (I guess?), and they certainly didn't have sprays. How did they stop their bakes from sticking?

Back
Top Bottom