Greasing a pan, question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
But here's my question. People have baked bread and cakes for centuries - they didn't have non-stick pans or greaseproof paper (I guess?), and they certainly didn't have sprays. How did they stop their bakes from sticking?
Lard or other animal grease.

But here's my question. People have baked bread and cakes for centuries - they didn't have non-stick pans or greaseproof paper (I guess?), and they certainly didn't have sprays. How did they stop their bakes from sticking?
They did not have metal cookware. I have a recipe for baking in a sheep's skin. Hollywood has certainly upgraded things. Primitive is not that long ago.

They did not have metal cookware. I have a recipe for baking in a sheep's skin. Hollywood has certainly upgraded things. Primitive is not that long ago.
Who didn't have metal cookware? Metal karahis (in South Asia) and woks (in East Asia) date to well before the Xtian era.

Europeans were making pies by the 1400s. Maybe they weren't in metal containers, but in pottery, which probably needed to be greased. And ancient people had oil from sesame and olives, as well as butter, not just lard and other rendered animal fat.

Lard or butter and a bit of flour, just as we did before sprays and non-stick pans. Paper was probably a precious commodities waaaay back, so fingers were likely the carrying agent. :)

and that pottery that taxy mentioned was likely treated just like our cast iron. Grease build up made them non-stick. I do grease my clay pot with each use, but only because it was soaked for so very long before use.

the pans were greased . . . I used to help in the school kitchen - we baked all the bread on site.
melted a pan of lard, brushed the lard on each and every bread pan . . . and someone checked your work until they were satisfied you knew how to get the corners 'right' . . .

and not everyone used pans 'back in the day' - especially for breads. round loaves are not round just for decoration . . . baked directly on the hearth of a hot oven.

1678631230983.png

They were trying to maximize their calories and use every bit of any fat they could find, so they weren't afraid to grease the pans heavily.

I've been doing this until 2006 and it came from a DiscussCooking member. Don't know who but I will NEVER be without the stuff. I have shared this recipe with a number of foodie friends who say they, too, won't be without it! Just sayin'!

MIRACLE PAN RELEASE

(Makes about 3 cups)​

1 cup lard

1 cup vegetable oil

1 cup all-purpose flour

Put all ingredients into a large bowl and, using the whisk attachment of an electric mixer, beat until combined and fluffy.

Or, in a medium bowl, combine all ingredients with a hand mixer until the mixture slightly increases in volume and the mixture looks smooth and creamy.
I prefer using the whisk method because I think it produces a better consistency.
Use in place of vegetable spray, especially with baked goods.

Place in a covered container and store on counter top or in the pantry.

To use:
Use a pastry brush, clean paper towel or clean fingers to coat the inside of baking pans before baking.
I use it for anything that needs to be greased, such as a crock-pot, bread pans, etc. It’s definitely a “miracle.” Wouldn’t be without it.
Use within 3 to 4 months or store in refrigerator for longer use.
Discuss Cooking

2006​

Wow, and noted, thank you Katie! Sounds great. Going to share that with a baking fiend friend. I'm sure she'll adore it!

Back
Top Bottom