"Greasy" plastic containers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
All of my plastics are Lock and Locks...they DO NOT go in the microwave or Shrek will be murdered in his sleep. He's an enthusiastic microwaver and thinks more time is the best, we paid too much for the L&L for him to ruin it.

I set aside three smaller L&L's for him to store onion in, although I don't know why he can't use a zip bag. I got tired of taking 2-3 days to get the onion smell out.

Well, PF, that goes back to another thread....about people who are unable to do "zip lock!" I wrap mine in Glad Wrap and close with a twist tie.

My plastic saver containers go in the dishwasher and come out squeaky clean. I never microwave foods in plastic containers any more. It wrecks the plastic and is potentially hazardous to our health.

Well, PF, that goes back to another thread....about people who are unable to do "zip lock!" I wrap mine in Glad Wrap and close with a twist tie.

Oh, he can use them, but for some reason insists on the L&L's to store onion.

Tupperware not available over here for years. I use "Lock and Lock" - not cheap but not as expensive as T'ware would be - and find them very good. They can be used in the freezer and the microwave (with the clips loosened) and they don't feel greasy. They do stain if you freeze anything tomato-y in them but I get round that by putting a poly bag inside and the tomato sauce, etc., in that. Can you get L&L where you are?

Some of the cheaper versions of L&L can be a bit lethal to unfasten - I've shed blood before now so check the clips before you buy.

We can still get Tupperware but no one has any interest in it since stores started selling such good plastic ware. Tupperware is so over priced, but there are a few things I bought from them since I couldn't find them anywhere else. One of them was very small plastic containers that held two tablespoons of dressing to take to work.

So many great suggestions! Thanks, guys and gals!

Short brief replies to some of the suggestions:
I buy Tupperware at Goodwill. In fact that's where I buy all my plastic stuff. I'm 'cheap' but I prefer to think of it as recycling.:angel:

Dawn sounds like it's good for a try. The foam Dawn----- I can only find refills for it. Does that have to be used in a pump bottle especially made for foam soap? I not only can't find Dawn foam soap in the dispenser pump bottle---- but the empty ones for sale are expensive.
So---- would just a bit of 'regular' Dawn squirted on a sponge do the same grease removal job?

I'm gradually replacing most of my plastic with glass containers---- most often glass Kerr or Ball jars for canning. Would like something rectangular also--- like SnapLock.

Lock and Lock----- some reviewers on Amazon said that only one lid came for three containers? Is that true???? Can't be, right? And that the snaps broke off sometimes. (Yes, I know, mostly only the disgrunted will post reviews)

The idea of reusing cottage cheese, yogurt containers is a good one----- but I prefer to use something that's see-through.

Just my personal opinion---- but I prefer not to put plastic in the microwave---- although I certainly have at times when rushed or forgetful.

Lemon, vinegar etc sounds good----- but I'm trying to KISS since my friend does most of the washing up. :)

Dawn sounds like it's good for a try. The foam Dawn----- I can only find refills for it. Does that have to be used in a pump bottle especially made for foam soap? I not only can't find Dawn foam soap in the dispenser pump bottle---- but the empty ones for sale are expensive.
So---- would just a bit of 'regular' Dawn squirted on a sponge do the same grease removal job?

In order to foam, you need the dispenser, but the refill works fine with just a little on your dish rag. I also put some in my OXO dish brush that dispenses soap. Works a treat.

Lock and Lock----- some reviewers on Amazon said that only one lid came for three containers? Is that true???? Can't be, right? And that the snaps broke off sometimes. (Yes, I know, mostly only the disgrunted will post reviews)

I have broken two L&L's, dropping from a height of 5' from the freezer, so it will break when frozen. All of mine have come with their own lid, there is a "new" style that the same lids fit all three sizes of the containers, but each one has it's own lid. What's nice about them is they are stackable one inside the other and there is no lid matching.

I have a mishmash of different containers. I never microwave in plastic containers, and I usually use empty cottage cheese, ricotta cheese etc containers when I'm giving the kids leftovers to take home because they will NEVER return my good containers when I give them out.

Also, my husband has a habit of using the lid to a containers to give the dog a treat, such as leftover meat from dinner. Sorry. I love my dog, but will not use a lid he has licked.

Last edited:
I find soups, chili, gravies, and casseroles freeze beautifully in cottage cheese containers, labeled with masking tape, so I don't need them to be see-through. Never had a freezer burn issue, and a perfect 2 person serving.

I would never nuke any plastic container either.

I don't own any good plastic containers. My kids are the take out queens and kings of the world. So if they send me something it will be in one of those containers. I don't bother to return it. And if I send them something, they get back a take out container. Not necessarily the one they sent me. But I don't freeze in any of them. For freezing, I use my food saver. I will freeze liquids in a covered bowl or dish, then transfer to a FS bag. :angel:

I have what I consider "good containers"..nice heavy ones with nice lids. I use them when I take something to a pot luck etc, as I will be bringing it back home and I want the container to look nice. The kids get the Cool Whip containers. LOL There is one restaurant we go to that has very nice clear plastic containers and I like to get them. I use them to freeze soup etc so I can see through them, but like Dawgluver said, they don't really have to be see-through if you label them. I have a Food Saver and I know you can get containers to use with it but I only use the rolls of plastic and make the bags custom size.

I agree, with masking tape as a label you can re-use cottage cheese containers or like.

But, and I'm really being anal here----where do I put the masking tape? On the top? Then I can't see what's in it unless I take off all the other containers on top of it.

On the side? Which side? Is anyone that neat that all their labels will be facing one way and survive in that position after either kids, husband or me forages through the freezer looking for something?

All the way around? the container? A whole lotta masking tape.

You can see my problem. At least with a see through container I have a chance of seeing if it's leftover broccoli soup or a stew.

It's not easy being me.:D

I use a white board marker on the lids of my plastic containers. It washes off with soapy sponge as long as you don't run it through the dry cycle in your dishwasher. That makes it harder to remove and you have to resort to Goo Gone. Works for me, YMMV.

I agree, with masking tape as a label you can re-use cottage cheese containers or like.

But, and I'm really being anal here----where do I put the masking tape? On the top? Then I can't see what's in it unless I take off all the other containers on top of it.

On the side? Which side? Is anyone that neat that all their labels will be facing one way and survive in that position after either kids, husband or me forages through the freezer looking for something?

All the way around? the container? A whole lotta masking tape.

You can see my problem. At least with a see through container I have a chance of seeing if it's leftover broccoli soup or a stew.

It's not easy being me.:D

:LOL: I put the labels on the lid. Then into the chest freezer, or the freezer drawer of the fridge, so no matter what, I have to move containers. Wouldn't do me much good to have see-thru containers. I do use my Foodsaver a lot too.

Last edited:
The best plastic food saver containers I've used are made by Rubbermaid. I bought a couple of dozen containers of various sizes 12-15 years ago and still use them regularly. I'e dropped them pout of the freezer and some of the edges chip off. The interior is scarred from heating foods in the microwave. BUT, they seal tightly, wash easily and seem to last forever. Nothing SO or I have bought since measures up for performance and price.

Attachments

• Rubbermaid.jpg
    Rubbermaid.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 193
Last edited:
The best plastic food saver containers I've used are made by Rubbermaid. I bought a couple of dozen containers of various sizes 12-15 years ago and still use them regularly. I'e dropped them pout of the freezer and some of the edges chip off. The interior is scarred from heating foods in the microwave. BUT, they seal tightly, wash easily and seem to last forever. Nothing SO or I have bought since measures up for performance and price.

We have a couple of the round ones and they are pretty much bullet proof. We've had them almost 10 years and they always go through the dishwasher and the lids still seal well.

We have a couple of the round ones and they are pretty much bullet proof. We've had them almost 10 years and they always go through the dishwasher and the lids still seal well.

Yeah! So why did they stop making them?

If you are going to use plastic and have to buy new, use items that say BPA Free.
I slowly have been weeding my plastic out to the recycle bin.
I do reuse containers; sour cream, ricotta, chinese takeout, etc. to freeze or give leftovers away, but they do not hold up to the microwave.
For tough stains I do agree with ORIGINAL blue Dawn works great. If that doesn't work, I don't like putting them in the dishwasher, but will fill container with very hot water and put a couple of drops/plops of liquid dishwasher soap in, swish it around and let it sit over night. Dump the water and wash and dry by hand. They look new afterward.

...I don't like putting them in the dishwasher, but will fill container with very hot water and put a couple of drops/plops of liquid dishwasher soap in, swish it around and let it sit over night...

Just curious, why don't you like to put them in the DW?

Back
Top Bottom