Green Pea soup...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vilasman1

Senior Cook
When i was a kid, I used to love campbells green pea soup. Now that I am grown and trying to cook does anyone know a green pea soup reciepe?

FRESH PEA SOUP

1 small onion, peeled and diced
1 small clove garlic, chopped
2 T. butter
4 cups fresh peas, shelled
chicken stock or vegetable stock or water
1 tsp. of fresh oregano, chopped
1 tsp. of fresh marjoram, chopped

Saute the onion in butter in the bottom of a 5-quart soup pot.
Add a bit of salt and cover the pot to ensure that the onions slowly become translucent and do not scorch.
Add the chopped garlic and continue sauteing for an additional 3 minutes.
Add the liquid and the peas.
Stir in the chopped herbs with a little salt and cover.
Bring to a boil, then lower the heat to simmer until the peas are tender.

Use a hand-held immersion blender to puree the soup into a smooth consistancy. ( If you prefer to use a blender, let the soup cool down and blend small batches - one cup at a time.)
Stir in 1/2 cup of cream and serve.

Garnish each serving with a sprinkling of chopped herbs and some fresh whole peas that have been blanched in salted water.

(this is great in springtime when the fresh peas are available, but can be made with frozen peas as well the rest of the year!)

Good Luck!

From what I've heard, truffles cost a fortune, but, I was looking to improve over cambells. Is there something in the middle ground? I am going to try the above receipe, maybe this weekend.

Dutch Green Pea Soup:

2 lb fresh ham hocks
3-4 qt water
1 lb presoaked green split peas
8 leeks, finely chopped
1 celery root, peeled and diced
3 cup chopped celery leaves
1 bay leaf
1/2 to 3/4 tsp thyme, rubbed
1/8 ts. dry mustard
2 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
2-3 cup chicken broth; optional

The day before serving, place the ham hock and water in a large soup kettle. Bring to a boil and then simmer until meat is very tender (2 1/2 hours). Cool and skim off fat. Remove meat and add to liquid the remaining ingredients except meat and chicken broth. Dice meat and return to kettle. Simmer 3 hours. If soup is too thick, chicken broth can be added. Refrigerate; serve the next day as this soup is best after the first day and is excellent garnished with parmesan and croutons. Yields 8-10.

Split Pea Soup (Green River)
2 cup dry split peas
8 cups chicken broth
1 1/2 lb meaty ham bone
1/2 tsp dried marjoram crushed
2 bay leaves
1 cup each: chopped carrot, chopped celery,chopped onion

Rinse peas. In a large pan combine peas, broth, ham bone,marjoram,and bay leaf, bring to a boil, reduce heat, Cover and simmer for 1 hour, stir often. Remove meat and when cool take the meat off the bone coursley chop if needed. Return the meat to the soup, Stir in the vegetable, return to boiling reduce heat, cover simmer for 30 min. Discard the bay leaf

OK, all I do is toss the leftover hambone in a pot of water. Boil vigorously for about 10 minutes, then simmer for a couple of hours. When I figure I have a decent stock I remove the bone and toss in a few cups of peas. I prefer a mix of green and yellow, but each to his own. Simmer on low for a few hours until the peas are soft and squish easily. I sometimes use my hand blender to smooth it out. Then I toss in all the ham meat from the bone and serve. Yummy. Usually the ham is salty enough that you don't need to add much salt, but you can do as you like for adding flavour to the stock.

ironchef said:
aahh I have one that uses English Spring Peas, truffles, and panceta. doesn't taste much like Campbell's so I don't think you'd like it. I can post it later if anyone wants it.

yes, please iron chef, post it. i love early peas and pancetta, so i'd bet a soup would be good.

Most legume soups tend to settle. That is, the solids sink to the bottom and must be stirred up for each bowl-full of soup that is served. Settling can be prevented by binding the soup. This means that the solids are held in suspension so that the consistancy remains constant throughout the batch.

To bind pea, lentil, bean soups, etc., heat two tbs. butter in a saucier or suitable pan. Add the same amount of flour to create a roux. Imediatley turn the heat to medium and begin ladling small amounts of the soups stock into the roux while whisking briskly. Continue adding broth and whisking until a smooth sauce is formed. Pour this sauce into the remaining soup and stir until well-mixed. This doesn't affect the soup flavor, but thickens it just enough to prevent settling.

Of course, you will need to adjust the amount of roux to the amount of soup you make. Remember, you can always add more if you need to, but you can't take it out once it's in. ;)

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

to debthecook - what a great idea! Your Mom knew what she was doing! :LOL:
I will certainly try that next time! Thanks!

Good Luck!

Dunno about "green pea" soup. but lets try this on!

Having a "bone-in" ham, this frequently leave you with bones, slins and scraps; so lets toss the lot in the pot with some water and simmer for an hour on low to medium heat, and cut away the edible ham bits...

Discard the balance of bones and skins...

add a diced onion, a chopped or minced carrot or three...

Mince a potato to thicken the mixture. a few cloves of garlic, chopped or minced, to satisfy my own tastes, a cup or so of green peas...

a package or two of Knorr Pea Soup Mix, and mix together well...

Some chopped ham from your leftovers...

If getting inventive, some green beans, split and sliced "long"...

keep it on low heat for a long time, and stir often...

freezes well, and with croutons as a condiment, is a fabulous and healthfull lunch or dinner...

Godweed, I'm about to try your butter-flour addition to my pea soup. Can't really ever go wrong with adding more butter to anything, so I'm enthusiastic about your addition idea. Wish me luck.

Quick question: I added ham for the first time, boiling a hock for about two hours, skimming fat off broth, seperated the meat from fat and bone...but I added the meat back in the beginning stages of cooking the peas. Will this give me tough shards of meat, like when one adds turkey to the beginning of the cooking? Oh yeah, I did that with my turkey soup, ruined it real bad.

Goodweed of the North said:
Most legume soups tend to settle. That is, the solids sink to the bottom and must be stirred up for each bowl-full of soup that is served. Settling can be prevented by binding the soup. This means that the solids are held in suspension so that the consistancy remains constant throughout the batch.

To bind pea, lentil, bean soups, etc., heat two tbs. butter in a saucier or suitable pan. Add the same amount of flour to create a roux. Imediatley turn the heat to medium and begin ladling small amounts of the soups stock into the roux while whisking briskly. Continue adding broth and whisking until a smooth sauce is formed. Pour this sauce into the remaining soup and stir until well-mixed. This doesn't affect the soup flavor, but thickens it just enough to prevent settling.

Of course, you will need to adjust the amount of roux to the amount of soup you make. Remember, you can always add more if you need to, but you can't take it out once it's in. ;)

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Goodwood, thanks for the advice. I will try it tonight when I make my split pea soup.

Back
Top Bottom