Greens

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I was an unfortunate child, I only had canned spinach, while I was growing up. As an adult I discovered raw spinach! I'm hoping to branch out into other fresh greens.

Princess, greens are something you may be able to have on your diet.
Put them in your pressure cooker with about one cup of water and pressure them for about 30 minutes. I use two slices of bacon to season them but you can use your imagination on seasoning fresh or dry. I don't use salt if I use bacon. Mustard greens taste a little like spinach nice peppery flavor :flowers:

Josie

Last edited:
Princess, greens are something you may be able to have on your diet.
Put them in your pressure cooker with about one cup of water and pressure them for about 30 minutes. I use two slices of bacon to season them but you can use your imagination on seasoning fresh or dry. I don't use salt if I use bacon. Mustard greens taste a little like spinach nice peppery flavor :flowers:

Josie

Oh yes, I'll be able to have all the greens I want. Thanks for telling me how to cook them. I wouldn't have thought of the pressure cooker. Be a good way for me to sneak a little bacon into my diet.

How do I go about trimming greens, like kale and collard? Do I take all of the stalks off and just use the leaves?

Teach me, please:)

Oh yes, I'll be able to have all the greens I want. Thanks for telling me how to cook them. I wouldn't have thought of the pressure cooker. Be a good way for me to sneak a little bacon into my diet.

How do I go about trimming greens, like kale and collard? Do I take all of the stalks off and just use the leaves?

Teach me, please:)

Princess, Hold the green In right hand Grasp the stem with left hand and pull towards the leaf Stem comes right off. See I remembered you were left handed :angel: I do not cut greens before I cook them. After they are done I use my kitchen shears to cut them in the pot. Much easier.

Josie

Princess, Hold the green In right hand Grasp the stem with left hand and pull towards the leaf Stem comes right off. See I remembered you were left handed :angel: I do not cut greens before I cook them. After they are done I use my kitchen shears to cut them in the pot. Much easier.

Josie

Got it! Thanks! Adding greens to the grocery list. :chef: And thanks for explaining it left-handed!:)

Princess, you are Welcome. DH and Oldest Grand son are left handed.
I had made a loaf of home bread yesterday, I cut one slice off and asked DH to silce the rest. It seem so strange to watch him turn the loaf of arround to slice it.

Josie

Princess, you are Welcome. DH and Oldest Grand son are left handed.
I had made a loaf of home bread yesterday, I cut one slice off and asked DH to silce the rest. It seem so strange to watch him turn the loaf of arround to slice it.

Josie

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:I only notice left handers...because what we need to do looks so awkward at times, even to a fellow leftie!

This is the recipe we use. It's one of Emerils. Just sub the greens for the spinach and remember to boil them longer. I can't wait till the beets are ready. Their green are excellent just sauteed!

Creamed Spinach - Emeril
Ingredients
2 pounds fresh spinach, washed and tough stems removed
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1/2 cup finely chopped shallots
1 teaspoon minced garlic
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 cup heavy cream
Directions
Bring a pot of salted water to a boil over high heat. Add the spinach and cook for 2 minutes. Drain in a fine mesh strainer, pressing with a large spoon to release as much water as possible. Finely chop and set aside.

Melt the butter in medium saute pan over medium-high heat. Add the shallots and garlic and cook, stirring, until soft and fragrant, about 2 minutes. Add the spinach and cook, stirring, just until the liquid is released. Add the cream, salt, pepper, and nutmeg, and cook until the cream is reduced by half, about 4 minutes. Remove from the heat and serve immediately.

Very important to get as much liquid out as possible.

Craig

Craig, Never been able to grow beets before this year. My beet greens are about a foot tall and are beautifull . Only have marble size roots. I have never tried beet greens before . Every one says the greens are great can't wait to try them. Do they taste like spinach?

Josie

Craig, Never been able to grow beets before this year. My beet greens are about a foot tall and are beautifull . Only have marble size roots. I have never tried beet greens before . Every one says the greens are great can't wait to try them. Do they taste like spinach?

Josie

They remind me more of Swiss chard than spinach.

Craig

I don't know about Swiss chard, but the one time I had beet greens, I loved them. Like all greens, they each have their own flavor.

I am freezing turnip greens today. Looks like it will be about ten guarts. I will do the roots tomorrow. I love the roots raw or grated on a salad.

Josie

I'm hoping to leave rehab in time today to stop at the store and get some greens. Shrek has his band practice this afternoon.

Did the turnips got 9 quarts of greens.:cool: I have 30 pounds of turnip roots to deal with today. Guess cabbage will be next. Got to get the garden empty for hubby to plant.

Josie :)

Did the turnips got 9 quarts of greens.:cool: I have 30 pounds of turnip roots to deal with today. Guess cabbage will be next. Got to get the garden empty for hubby to plant.

Josie :)

I ended up with baby spinach the other day...I'll check out the local store for greens. The ones I did find looked horrible!

That's a lot of turnips!

Back
Top Bottom