Greetings from Dorset UK

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Allex

Assistant Cook
In my 70s and have a passion for cooking now as I want junk free ingredients and a bit of a healthy eating fan. Slowly adding recipes to my collection. Like organics like Rapeseed oil, nuts, dried fruit and grow my own veg and fruit.

Hi again Allex, and Welcome again. Just to note, when you see a recipe originating from here "across the pond" - we don't use the term Rapeseed oil anymore but Canola oil.
Here's a good explanation from Wikipedia
"Canola was originally a trademark name of the Rapeseed Association of Canada, and the name was a condensation of "Can" from Canada and "OLA " meaning "Oil, low acid", but is now a generic term for edible varieties of rapeseed oil in North America and Australasia."

Just to keep you from looking for something you might not find at your grocer's. I didn't realize that in the UK they still use the name Rapeseed.
Yuh larn sumpin' new everys day, don'cha.

Nice welcome! Thanks. Yes I know Rapeseed oil if Canola. Interesting history there.

I just may a 'Tea loaf' in my Breadmaker (I use that for most to save power). It was half regular flower and 1/4 wholemeal and 1/4 white Rye. It did not rise much but tastes good so a pass at best.

My cooking skills have just eased up from Rodger the Bodger level. Learning all the time.

Yer do don't cha!

PS I asked Chat GPT (3) about Rapeseed oil. It gave it's usual verbose response:

"Rapeseed oil, also known as canola oil in some regions, is a type of vegetable oil that is derived from the seeds of the rapeseed plant (Brassica napus or Brassica rapa). It is one of the most widely used cooking oils due to its mild flavor and versatility in various culinary applications.

Rapeseed oil is produced by pressing or extracting oil from the seeds of the rapeseed plant. It has a relatively low saturated fat content and a high proportion of monounsaturated fats, making it a healthier option compared to some other cooking oils. It is also rich in omega-3 fatty acids, which are beneficial for heart health.

The term "canola oil" is often used interchangeably with rapeseed oil, particularly in North America. Canola oil is a specific type of rapeseed oil that has been bred and developed to have low levels of erucic acid and glucosinolates, which are naturally occurring compounds in traditional rapeseed oil that can be harmful in large amounts. Canola oil is generally considered safe for consumption.

Rapeseed oil or canola oil can be used for a variety of cooking methods, including sautéing, frying, baking, and salad dressings. It has a neutral flavor profile, which makes it suitable for both sweet and savory dishes.

Please note that if you have specific dietary concerns or health conditions, it's always a good idea to consult with a healthcare professional or a registered dietitian before making changes to your diet."

It's quicker to ask than search online. As you can see it can't spell!

Hi again Allex, and Welcome again. Just to note, when you see a recipe originating from here "across the pond" - we don't use the term Rapeseed oil anymore but Canola oil.
Here's a good explanation from Wikipedia
"Canola was originally a trademark name of the Rapeseed Association of Canada, and the name was a condensation of "Can" from Canada and "OLA " meaning "Oil, low acid", but is now a generic term for edible varieties of rapeseed oil in North America and Australasia."

Just to keep you from looking for something you might not find at your grocer's. I didn't realize that in the UK they still use the name Rapeseed.
Yuh larn sumpin' new everys day, don'cha.

I didn't know this! I use Rapeseed in preference to Olive Oil - predominantly because it grows in the fields all around Hampshire, so I hope it is cutting down on air miles. (It certainly isn't any cheaper!) However, now I know it is called Canola in the US and Canada, I will know what that means - thanks for the tip Dragon!

And welcome Allex! Nice to see another Brit here. :)

Welcome here ,from a newbie Dutchman !

My wife and me had 10 beautiful days in Hereford and Ludlow, coming back 21th of May.

I worked on British Rail-stations in catering in '75 and '76.
Low salary but almost free travel. Which I did.
Many holidays all over the UK on my own till 1982.

From there on joined by my wife. She grew even more Anglophile than I am :).
In many variations. B&B, hotels, cottages and with caravan the whole of the '90's.
With River Dart Country Park near Ashburton still the most beautiful place we ever parked.

This visit to the UK was the first from 2017.
Every visit always feels like a "reset".
Shropshire and Herefordshire was the only region we never visited.
Very good to see real good ol' traditional British classics on the menu.
We hope to be back again !

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom