Greetings from Toronto, Canada

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SmoothBites

Assistant Cook
Hi everyone

I'm new to this forum, but not new to my love of food!

I'm a 30 year old guy who's physically disabled with Congenital Muscular Dystrophy, however that doesn't stop me from getting in the kitchen and being creative! My parents say I'm good at directing traffic...

In 2014 I had a bit of a food crisis that made me look at food in a whole way. I was diagnosed with dysphagia which means I have trouble swallowing. In the blink of an eye I now had to puree all of my food. This seemed like the end of the world almost! I began to ask myself "how will I ever eat pizza again? Or a juicy steak? Would I never be able to eat my favourite foods ever again?".

We gradually learned the techniques and found out that yes, pizza and steak are very doable and still just as tasty! We did find it rather daunting at first as there are not many (if any really) consumer-friendly guides for those with this lifestyle challenge.

With my creativity and desire to help others, I developed and launched a blog (link below) as a resource for those similar to my situation with a passion and love of food! I have many recipes on the site and plan to add more, however have been preoccupied lately and unable to dedicate as much time as I'd like to it.

I look forward to sharing my culinary journey with all of you and learning along the way!

~~
https://smoothbites.com/

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to DC!
I too currently have problems with solid foods, although for a different reason, so I’ll definitelu be checking out your blog.Milkshakes, smoothies, and gazpacho are getting a bit old. And pizza is the food of heaven. If you’ve got a liquid version of it, you must be my own personal guardian angel!

Welcome to DC SmoothBites!

Looking forward to your posts and checking out your blog. Hope we can help you and am sure you will be able to help us!

Hi everyone

I'm new to this forum, but not new to my love of food!

I'm a 30 year old guy who's physically disabled with Congenital Muscular Dystrophy, however that doesn't stop me from getting in the kitchen and being creative! My parents say I'm good at directing traffic...

In 2014 I had a bit of a food crisis that made me look at food in a whole way. I was diagnosed with dysphagia which means I have trouble swallowing. In the blink of an eye I now had to puree all of my food. This seemed like the end of the world almost! I began to ask myself "how will I ever eat pizza again? Or a juicy steak? Would I never be able to eat my favourite foods ever again?".

We gradually learned the techniques and found out that yes, pizza and steak are very doable and still just as tasty! We did find it rather daunting at first as there are not many (if any really) consumer-friendly guides for those with this lifestyle challenge.

With my creativity and desire to help others, I developed and launched a blog (link below) as a resource for those similar to my situation with a passion and love of food! I have many recipes on the site and plan to add more, however have been preoccupied lately and unable to dedicate as much time as I'd like to it.

I look forward to sharing my culinary journey with all of you and learning along the way!

~~
https://smoothbites.com/
Your blog site is very attractive and well-constructed! Blogspot? Wordpress? Or a hosted website? Really nice pics too!

I was disappointed that there wasn’t a recipe for liquid pizza, though! ;)

Thanks Joel. It's a WordPress site.

Not everyone that requires pureed food has trouble swallowing, rather it could be dental surgery, Parkinsons, cancer, or just getting old... either way, it's absolutely no excuse not to eat good food!

Check your PM's JustJoel ;)

Hi from the West Coast, near Vancouver.

My father had disphasia and I had to puree all of his food so I understand what you go through. It broke my heart when I would make a roast beef with potatoes, gravy and veggies and it would become soup. But he said it still tasted like when Mom would make it for him so I guess I learned the technique well.

Anyway, welcome to DC!

When I puree, I puree everything separately so I don't just get a muddled mess of flavours, rather each on their own. It's a bit more time to prepare, but it's worth it!

I did that for Dad too, to a point. I pureed the cooked meat, made sure the potatoes were well mashed, and purreed the veggies. then I mixed it all with the gravy but he ended up mixing it all up together on his plate so I started just doing that before serving it.

I personally would prefer it your way.

Back
Top Bottom