Greetings!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rlogan

Assistant Cook
Hi!

My name is Ross, and I'm from Wilmington, Delaware. I enjoy cooking a great deal - particularly learning new things. I just made my first cheeses this past weekend (Mozzarella, Feta, Ricotta and a goat milk Ricotta), and am excited to learn from and contribute to the community.

Thanks to the admins for providing a place for us to get together and discuss food!

Thanks again!
-Ross

Welcome to the forum. Making cheese sounds fun :) How did they turn out?

Thanks!

Well.. the mozzarella was ok - not great, not terrible, just ok. I know what I did wrong though, so it should be better next time. It wound up being great melted though, so I tossed it on a pizza and it worked out pretty well.

The feta is perfect - couldn't possibly be better, and both ricottas were fantastic as well. I was lucky enough to find a place near me that has raw, fresh from the farm goat's milk and cow's milk, so I'm sure that helped to make them turn out so well.

Next on my list is another mozzarella to see if I can get it 100% right instead of 90% right this time. That means I'll have whey left over, which means another ricotta too. After that, I've got my eye on a brie, but I'm thinking maybe I should take baby steps instead of jumping straight in to "the queen of cheeses"

Very interesting about making your own cheeses...could turn into a business someday since you have wonderful local resources and the passion to do it. I never even thought of making my own. Welcome :flowers:

I would actually *love* to make a living making and selling cheeses.

I also make jams and some other things that keep reasonably well and I think would sell pretty well, but I did look in to what would be required if I wanted to start selling these things (probably on the internet or in local stores at first), and it was pretty intimidating.

I had wanted to see what would be required to just get my kitchen licensed and inspected as a commercial kitchen, but it sounds like it's actually easier and more cost effective to just build a second kitchen and have it set up as a commercial kitchen for scratch.

I'm at least a good 10 years away from having the kind of money for anything that serious, so for the time being, I just make things for myself and to give away to friends. I do still keep that dream tucked away for a later date though :chef:

Welcome Ross,
how exciting for you. Ten years isn't that far off. I wish you the best. Hoping you will share some cheese making tips with us. Cheese is my favorite food. I could live on it.
kadesma:)

Welcome to DC Ross! To quote one of my favorite characters.. "Cheeeeese"

Attachments

• wallace_gromit_cheese.jpg
    wallace_gromit_cheese.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 233

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom