Grilled Shrimp and Cilantro Peso Pizza (TNT)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zereh

Head Chef
Grilled Shrimp and Cilantro Pesto Pizza (TNT)

Grilled Shrimp and Cilantro Pesto Pizza
1 (.25 ounce) pkg active dry yeast [2 1/4 t]
3/4 c warm (105 to 115 degrees F) water
1 3/4 to 2 c unbleached AP flour + additional for kneading and dredging
1 1/2 t salt
3 t olive oil, divided + more for brushing dough
2 c grated Monterey Jack
Cilanto Pesto, see below
Grilled shrimp, see below
Cilantro leaves for garnish

In a small bowl whisk together the yeast and 1/4 c of the warm water. Let sit for 5 minutes to proof (i.e. get bubbly). Place 1 3/4 c of flour in a large bowl with the salt. Add the yeast mixture, the remaining water and 2 t of olive oil and stir until combined. Transfer the dough to a floured surface and knead until smooth. Grease a large bowl with the remaining 1 t oil, add the dough and turn to coat. Cover and put in a warm place until doubled in size, about 1 to 1.5 hours.

Preheat the grill to medium-high. Once the dough has risen, divide it in half and set aside one of the halves for another use. Divide the remaining half into 4 balls. Roll each ball into an 8-inch circle. Brush each circle with olive oil on both sides until golden brown. Add 1/2 c grated cheese to each pizza and grill until the cheese is just melted. Remove from the grill and spread a few tablespoons of the cilantro pesto over each pizza. Top each pizza with 4 shrimp and sprinkle with cilanto leaves.

Cilantro Pesto
3/4 c fresh cilantro leaves
1/4 c parsley leaves
2 cloves garlic, coursely chopped
2 T pine nuts
1/4 grated fresh Parmesan
1/2 c evoo
salt & freshly ground black pepper

Put all ingredients into the work bowl of a food processor. Process until smooth. Season with S&P to taste.

Grilled Shrimp
16 large shrimp, peeled and deveined
evoo
salt and freshly ground pepper

Preheat the grill to high. In a large bowl, toss the shrimp with enough evoo to lightly coat and season with S&P. Grill for 1 to 2 minutes per side or until just cooked through. Remove from grill and keep warm until ready to use.

I didn't use the grill for this ... I just put the pizzas under the broiler instead and flipped them over to brown the other side when the first was done. They turned out terrific. I quickly cooked the shrimp on the stove-top as well.

:heart:
Z

Last edited:
Awwwww that recipe makes me long for the "lazy", hot days of July and August. It sounds terrific, a nice jug of ice tea, a fruity dessert and it would be an awesome meal.

Happy cooking to all :chef:

Zereh, this sounds marvelous. Would you mind if I omitted the cilantro, my taste buds have not yet acquired a taste for it. I could substitute basil or nothing.

You can use whatever you'd like, Norgeskog! It's your show and you're in charge!!! Give it whirl with fresh basil. =) (If you used nothing in place of the cilantro you'd end with an oily and not very tastey mess.)

I really do think you should ease yourself into the whole cilantro world though, it's such good stuff. It has a crisp, clean, green taste. It adds that perfect fresh zing. It smells heavenly too.

Let me dig around for this superduper pico de gallo recipe I have. That was the first recipe I ever used fresh cilantro in; I tasted it without the green stuff and then I tasted it with. It added a whole new layer of flavor. Now I'm hooked on cilantro.

Z

Last edited:
Or you could sub flat leaf parsley for the cilantro.

Zereh said:
You can use whatever you'd like, Norgeskog! It's your show and you're in charge!!! Give it whirl with fresh basil. =) (If you used nothing in place of the cilantro you'd end with an oily and not very tastey mess.)

I really do think you should ease yourself into the whole cilantro world though, it's such good stuff. It has a crisp, clean, green taste. It adds that perfect fresh zing. It smells heavenly too.

Let me dig around for this superduper pico de gallo recipe I have. That was the first recipe I ever used fresh cilantro in; I tasted it without the green stuff and then I tasted it with. It added a whole new layer of flavor. Now I'm hooked on cilantro.
Z

The pallet may be ready for the stuff, the tummy is not.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom