Grinding your own beef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Prime is about marbling. When you grind it you lose the idea of marbling.

I mean, if it makes you happy that's great. I will save the prime for cuts I am grilling or barbecuing instead.

I agree. Also, $8.95/Lb is a lot to pay for ground beef.

I buy my ground beef at Costco. 88/12 lean/fat. Makes great burgers.
When I was still going to Costco, I got their ground beef and really liked it. I noticed that they made "burger patties" out of pure ground beef. It was the same price as the ground beef. We used to buy that. The patties were too big to use as burgers (~250 grams / patty), but they were a convenient size to freeze, individually wrapped.

I don’t care for the preformed patty’s. The meat is quite compressed in the process and that effects the texture of the burger.

I don’t care for the preformed patty’s. The meat is quite compressed in the process and that effects the texture of the burger.

I tend to agree. But, the preformed patties that I got from Costco weren't compressed. They were more like very short cylinders of ground beef. We could tell by looking, the first time we saw them, that they weren't compressed like regular premade patties. We never used them as burgers the way they came. We just knew that each "patty" was about 250 grams of ground beef. We didn't need to do the portioning ourselves when they were going to get frozen.

How does one get the correct amount of fat and how does one disperse the fat throughout the grind?
Does one mix the grind up afterwards to make sure its uniform?

How does one get the correct amount of fat and how does one disperse the fat throughout the grind?

I don't really want it all that uniform. Most meats aren't, so why should ground meat be any different?

As for getting the right amount of fat, it simply depends on the cut and how you trim it. If some chunks are fattier than others I simply alternate adding them to the grinder.

For burgers, it is important to me to not over process the grind. That course, shaggy texture when smashed on a hot griddle results in great browning, tenderness and juiciness. It also browns much better (as opposed to greying) in a large skillet for things like chili and meat sauce.

For burgers and such I grind with a large plate, mix it and then grind with a smaller plate to get it more uniform.

For chili I just use a large plate once.

How much a pound is Costco's ground beef? Just curious.

Sometimes $2.99. Sometimes $3.99

I forget, but its less than our grocery store sale price. 6lbs minimum package I think.
Costco has very good ground beef. I think its 12% fat.
Not great for burgers (I like more fat) But great for other applications.
For burgers I have considered mixing in some lard to fatten it up for burgers?
Not sure how that would turn out?

I forget, but its less than our grocery store sale price. 6lbs minimum package I think.
Costco has very good ground beef. I think its 12% fat.
Not great for burgers (I like more fat) But great for other applications.
For burgers I have considered mixing in some lard to fatten it up for burgers?
Not sure how that would turn out?

I'd have no issue making a burger with 88/12 ground beef.

To be honest I try to not get my burgers well done.

I think 80/20 is fine, but on the grill more fat is more drippy.
- equals more smoke:D. to flavor the burgers as it drips onto the hot charcoal. Also, for a juicier burger with less shrinkage, add 1 large egg for 1 pound of burger. Once mixed in, you can't tell it's in the burger.

Seeeeeya Chief longwind of the North

- equals more smoke:D. to flavor the burgers as it drips onto the hot charcoal. Also, for a juicier burger with less shrinkage, add 1 large egg for 1 pound of burger. Once mixed in, you can't tell it's in the burger.

Seeeeeya Chief longwind of the North

Over charcoal it also causes flare ups that are not good.

My burgers have enough flavor from the meat. :yum:

I think 80/20 is fine, but on the grill more fat is more drippy.

Over charcoal it also causes flare ups that are not good.
My burgers have enough flavor from the meat. :yum:

No flare up, no grill flavor.
I have purposely squirted oil on the meat so the coals or gas burner get some flames. I encourage flames on steaks and chops. Its very easy to move the meat slightly away from the big flare up. Flames nipping at the meat is my goal.
IMO a burger that sits above hot coals or gas needs some flame.

No flare up, no grill flavor.
I have purposely squirted oil on the meat so the coals or gas burner get some flames. I encourage flames on steaks and chops. Its very easy to move the meat slightly away from the big flare up. Flames nipping at the meat is my goal.
IMO a burger that sits above hot coals or gas needs some flame.

Some flame is one thing, but too much fat cause too many flare ups, which causes bitter smoke which is not good.

Back
Top Bottom