Group Buy: Lump or Smoke Chunks?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ROB O

Senior Cook
Hi,

One the car boards I belong to frequently organizes group buys on stuff (electronics, engine mods, suspension stuff etc.) it's worked out pretty well and we've been able to save some big dollars on many of the items.

I was wondering if folks here might be interested in trying to get together on a buy for lump or smoke wood chunks?

I'm certainly not the expert on what kind to get and where to go but I'd be willing to keep track of names and make some phone calls if anyone's interested.

How about it?

Rob O,

Count me in, keep us informed of the details. I have never bought lump over the internet but I usually buy wood chunks that I can't get around here. It has been my experience that it's not the cost of the wood, it's the shipping that will sometimes hurt you. Perhaps a break on shipping if that's possible would be advantagous.

Rob,
I'm interested too as long as I am not paying double the normal cost due to the price of shipping. Let us know the details. Thanks for initiating this.

They call these consortiums "Buying Groups" and they are very popular in many industries. WM

ps , I don't really use charcoal, but if you go after ribs, let me know. I nominate Greg to handle distribution!

Great figures...thanks.....again with wood, shipping kills you, and buying as a consortium would mean shipping twice....thus probably reducing or removing any profit margin.

A thought:

If you will be attending SmokeStock 2005 and are interested in making a group purchase on charcoal or wood...have it shipped to my house and take it home with you! :D

Greg Rempe said:
A thought:

If you will be attending SmokeStock 2005 and are interested in making a group purchase on charcoal or wood...have it shipped to my house and take it home with you! :D

That sounds like a plan! What is the typical cost of a bag of lump?

Sorry guys away on business had to pay some bills.

If lump doesn't make sense what about varietal smoke woods?

For example there's no way for me to find pecan around here so I'd have to pay the shippping charges anyhow but I'd like some. Same deal w/Alder.

Would a GB on that stuff make sense? My thought is work out a lower price on the cost of the wood then have the company you buy it from ship to each of us direct. That way we're only shipping once.

I just did this on a suspension piece for my car. We saved 20% off of best advertised deal. Each buyer ordered from the company using the company's website and referenced the group buy. Once we hit the "threshold" the company sent out the goods at the discounted price.

If we could figure out what we all, collectively want and who some target suppliers might be I'd be willing to start to get it going.

For those of you who've been on TVWB Mordechai Striks got something like this going with the NuTemp buy.

Thoughts folks?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom