Growing parsley, how to?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

giggler

Sous Chef
Is there some trick to grow this for my garden?

I've been through 3 pakgs of seed ( they are very small seeds)..

with no sprouts so far..

Eric Austin Tx.

Last edited by a moderator:
What was the germination time on the package? Did you plant the seeds at the correct depth? Weather, water, soil, lots of factors can impact germination. Mine can take awhile to come up as well, sometimes it's just hurry up and wait!

Last edited:
Herb seeds take a long time.
Parsley germination time is 21 days.

Parsley

I planted 2 weeks ago (In cold Minnesota). not up yet.
Fortunately, parsley is a biennial here, and I have last years up and adequate for the next week or two. Also, chives up and almost blooming. Tarragon, mint, etc. available. Even sage made it through the winter! Unusual. Warmest winter in memory. May plant palm trees!

There's no particular trick, other than recognizing that it may take anywhere from a month to several weeks for them to come up. They are both, the Italian and the curly, slow germinators. They're pretty tolerant of various soils, but you could mix in some potting soil or add some Perlite to the garden. And as with most small seeds, don't plant them too deep. It's a good idea to soak them in water overnight before planting, but you still have to keep the soil moist around them. And standard for all seed plantings, press the soil after planting to make sure the seeds are in close contact with the soil. Small seeds can end up in air gaps without water if you don't pack the soil.

You should have a heckuvalot of parsley in the next few weeks, Giggler, with 3 packs of seeds! You may need to thin them after they come up.

Is there some trick to grow this for my garden?

I've been through 3 pakgs of seed ( they are very small seeds)..

with no sprouts so far..

Eric Austin Tx.
forget the seeds giggler,take a tip from bro' bolas's missus madge.the supermarkets over here sell pots of growing herbs including curley & flat leaf parsley,for the windowsill.she buy's a couple of pots at the beginning of the season,plants them in the raised salad bed & they have more parsley than they know what to do with all year:)!

I planted 2 weeks ago (In cold Minnesota). not up yet.
Fortunately, parsley is a biennial here, and I have last years up and adequate for the next week or two. Also, chives up and almost blooming. Tarragon, mint, etc. available. Even sage made it through the winter! Unusual. Warmest winter in memory. May plant palm trees!

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: Palm trees? Good one Walt. You gave me my laugh for the day. Thank you.

Last edited:
I've been planting Italian flat-leaf parsley for the past ten years & always have germination in 6 days with indoor sowing under lights - even with old seed.

In addition, I allow my Italian flat-leaf parsley from last year to come up (it's 2' tall now) & go to seed, thus I now have dozens of seedlings springing up from last fall's self-sowing. No problems.

I don't know what the problem is that folks have with parsley. I'm not particularly lucky, nor do I go out of my way to encourage this stuff. I consider parsley one of the easiest herbs to grow from year to year. At least the Italian flat-leaf type. I never grow the curly type - except for frou-frou garnish, it's absolutely worthless for cooking.

Giggler--guess what!?!
You were in my thoughts today.

I was out picking chard and radishes (that had gone to seed last year--cool I know) and guess what was peeking out from under the straw I'd put down last fall. PARSLEY!!!

Even though I'd gathered the seeds in the fall, many of them dropped. I cleaned out plants in the fall leaving seeds behind and then just put down the straw. Now I have parsley, can you believe it? I almost can't! We don't even plant our gardens for a few weeks yet due to snow or freezing temps in the upper midwest.

If you aren't getting any parsley, I'll lend you some. :)

Because our season is short, I buy plants. One "trick" with seeds is to put them in a saucer of water overnight before planting.

We had a relatively warm winter (you'd consider it bitterly cold!) and got a second year out of my parsley plantings last year! Parsley is biannual, but because of some harsh winters, I almost never get a second year. Taboule, anyone? I know people trash curly parsley, but it is hardier in my experience, yes, a milder flavor, so I just use more (and it's such a pretty garnish!) Learned as a kid that you eat the parsley that is a garnish on your plate, when you are through with the meal, as a breath freshener.

I bought a small plant from the garden centre and it comes up every year even after a cold winter. I have it in a long trough type planter with some other herbs.

Back
Top Bottom