Growing up, what was your traditional Easter meal?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Claire

Master Chef
What did you or your family, etc, eat or prepair for Easter celebrations. In my family it was a ham (trimmed with pineapple rings), potatoes (often scalloped), and various veggies. My husband's parents were from eastern Europe,and they did a leg of lamb. In my family we always had an easter egg hunt, even if we lived someplace it was too cold, then we hid the eggs in the house. Tell us your traditions.

I come from an italian background so we always have pasta - maybe a ham too. We left carrots, cookies and milk out for the Easter Bunny and then woke up Easter morning to baskets filled with great things, not just candy (not that candy isn't great). We usually got all dressed up and went to church.

Well, traditionally my parents always made a roast leg of lamb or a fresh pork roast, along with Czech bread dumplings, sauerkraut, gratineed potatoes, several other veggies, etc., etc.

These days, now that it's just my husband & myself, I either make a smoked turkey or a roast duck. This year it's roast duck, along with Alouette Garlic/Herb potatoes & Green Beans Almondine.

Isn't it odd but right now I'm not 100% sure. I'll have to call my sister. I know we alternated where we ate our holiday meals with another family (Christmas, Thanksgiving, Easter) but for the life of me right now I can't remember what we traditionally had on Easter. I know Thanksgiving and Christmas were pretty much the same - but Easter? mmmmmmm........ I'm going to call my sister now! :blush:

YT2095 said:
is this thread in place of the usual: "Dinner 8/4/07" type thread?

I changed the title YT to make it more clear. This thread is about what you ate growing up, traditionally, for Easter.

We always had leg of lamb mint jelly and roasted potatoes. Veggies were whatever my mom felt like making.

Don't remember much about Easter as a child except for the baskets and searching for eggs in the yard.

I vaguely recall ham, so probably scalloped potatoes and other veggies. Easter dinner was never much of a big deal in our house. Thanksgiving and Christmas were the primary holidays for a memorable meal.

Well, I called my sister - what a GREAT help she was!!!!!!!! lol She really can't remember either - it was probably ham though. :chef:

Edited to add - I seem to recall duck - she used to make a dried fruit stuffing - I feel sure that was for Easter during my later teenage years. Yea! I remembered something! lol

Last edited:
I don't know if we ever had traditions.

My dad's father took a permanent walk when he was five and Pop was brought up by all kinds of different relatives. What his mom did after her husband left I do not know. Pop would not speak about the matter. Somehow one might think he would have turned out to be a lousy dad, just the opposite. He was the greatest man I ever met, and I was lucky enough to be able to talk to him every day. About almost anything. If I have any wisdom it is Pop's.

My mom's dad was apparently a fine man, my dad was high on him. But he died many years before I was born. His wife, my grandmum, was just nasty. Why grandpa ever married that harridan I do not know. After her husband died my grandmother took to her bed and stayed there until she died, some forty years later.

Mom, despite the genes she inherited from the nasty old lady, was the strongest loving woman I have ever known. And I sorely miss her.

But if there were ever any traditons we had as kids, I don't remember them. Sure we had a Christmas tree and Easter baskets, but other than that no. But everything my folks did, with the little $$ they had, was done well.

On days like this, Christmas, Easter, I take a bit of time for myself and think about my folks. I have come to peace with their passing. If I want to know who they were I look at myself, at least the better parts of myself.

And when I get into a jam and just don't know which way to turn, I think about what they would have said or done.

Then I find the answer.

That is the tradition I have. I think it is a fine one.

Sorry to get off topic.

I have to laugh, because I have a great network of friends here. I "did" thanksgiving, a good friend "did" Christmas, and a third freind "took" Easter yesterday. What was a good laugh was that she cooked exactly what I was planning; a spiral cut ham (makes life so much easier) and scalloped potatoes.

Yes, as a child we always cooked and colored and hid Easter eggs. I remember one year living in the barracks as a WAF and a bunch of us made Easter eggs and baskets. I do not know how we boiled the darned things.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom