Grumblebee's Bento of the Day

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

grumblebee

Contest Winner
Hello all. :) In my re-introduction post I made a short while ago I talked a bit about my new obsession with creating obento lunches for myself and using and collecting bento boxes. I've decided to make a thread where I will post some pics to the bentos I make for myself. I'm busy so it might not be every day, but whenever I get the chance, I will post.

For those unfamiliar with the culinary art of bento, please check out the following links:

About Bento
Cooking Cute - photos, techniques, recipes
The Bento Store - on eBay

- - -

Here are 2 pics from yesterday and today's lunch. I used my spiffy 4 tiered stainless steel one (not as cute as my other ones but holds lots of food and I've been sick lately so I want to feed my body well!) It's a Zojirushi Mr. Bento

img_329463_0_dd8f97d78f6fd78811681cd4d1fe9cd4.jpg

Sept 21st: Bulgur salad, cucumber/tomato salad, mandarin orange segments, steamed edamame

img_329463_1_94ccbddc72172e89539c41c39676a476.jpg

Sept 22nd: roasted vegetable soup/stew, wholemeal bread with a piece of la vache qui rit (laughing cow) cheese, lightly marinated carrot, quinoa and caramalized onions

The bentos weren't too pretty the last couple days, but I've been under the weather so I'm more focused on nutrition rather than presentation. Usually I try to make them look a lot more appealing... :angel: Oh well. I'll post cuter ones as the days progress.

Whaaat??? These are not pretty and unappealing to you??? You must be kidding, they look soooo lovely!! The greatest thing is that it shows that you really enjoy creating these beautiful lunches that are both healthy and tasty. Also I love the way you are using variety of items, like bulgur and quinoa, they are so delicious and versatile but unfortunately too many people don't even think about using them. And you know what I LOOOOOVE edamame!!!!!!! I haven't even seen them for so long I even forgot about them, I just saw the pic and went:w00t2: you should make some extra for the evening, they accompany a nice glass of beer so well during your time of relaxation!!:rolleyes:
Thanks for sharing grumble, we look forward to seeing what's coming ahead!!

i hardly put any effort to my bentos.. normally it is just sandwich with jam or nutella :$

All of your foods look delicious. I've never had bulgar and have never heard of quinoa.

I've never heard of such a thing but I have eaten out of them(what I now know were bento boxes) at some Japanese restaurants.

What a charming and healthy hobby. :)

amber said:
All of your foods look delicious. I've never had bulgar and have never heard of quinoa.

As I don't want to hijack the thread, I will PM you with some info!!:)

Thanks. :)

I made a bento for today, which is unusual for a Saturday but I had to go to the school today and do some admin things to get ready for Monday. I figured I wouldnt have time for lunch (and I was right!) so I am glad I am brought something with me. It was simple but tasty.

img_330064_0_37ee9d6f3f4b3afe738fa32ef34bb804.jpg

Sept 23rd: 1st tier- cherry tomatoes and cheese cubes, 2nd tier- onigiri stuffed with salmon and sprinkled with furikake, mini red pepper, a packet of soy sauce and a sm. container of wasabi, 3rd tier- candies :innocent: I did bring along an apple as well so I was somewhat healthy! LOL.

Well its Monday... back to work! I made a trip to the asian grocery store this weekend and picked up a bunch of ingredients that I was running low on. While I was there I spotted this beautiful daifuku mochi cakes... (couldn't resist buying a few :angel: ) I had some yesterday and packed a couple in the bento today.

September 25th- Japanese Style Bento

img_330731_0_5944a3a2b966eacc68a558806917249c.jpg

Top tier- daifuku, ferrero rocher chocolate, baby carrots
Bottom tier- onigiri rice (one stuffed with crab and wasabi, the other with umeboshi) sprinkled with sesame seeds and covered with nori stars :wub: , steamed edamame, and mini babybel cheese
On the side- cup of peaches and pears in light syrup

Oh grumble, you make such perfectly shaped rice balls!! I love the little nori stars, do you have a template to cut them out?
Have you tried grilling the rice balls? Maybe it is better to be eaten immediately than for bentos, but it is quite tasty, brush a little soy sauce with melting cheese at the centre...yum!! give it a try if you ever make some extra rice balls!!:)

urmaniac13 said:
Oh grumble, you make such perfectly shaped rice balls!! I love the little nori stars, do you have a template to cut them out?

I use an onigiri mold... there is NO way I could get them shaped so well without it. (believe me, I've tried) Besides, the mold makes it easier to stuff the onigiri with yummy things, like fish, umeboshi, etc.

As for the nori stars, I bought them pre-cut. You can get all sorts of shaped nori for decorating rice, tamagoyaki and so forth. I've even seen Hello Kitty shaped nori cutouts! I've used scrapbooking paper punches to punch out shapes too though and that works just as well (and its cheaper too)

Sorry this is late posting... (although I'm not even sure if anyone looks at this thread... lol) This was my bento for today, September 26th.

img_331664_0_eb494fff241d09c7fdfe8a7a25ecf360.jpg

Top tier: inside out california roll maki sushi (on its side), mackeral with spicy miso sauce
Bottom tier: pasta with spicy cod roe, carrot and cherry tomato, tofu dog "flowers", steamed edamame.

Tomorrows bento will probably be leftovers from dinner tonight. (curry and rice...) Who knows though.. maybe I'll be more inspired in the morning. :rolleyes:

I do Miss Grumblebee, I look at your thread!

I want some bento boxes, I bought a very cute Indian Tiffin box which I'll use from next week. I am not organised this week and still using our cafeteria!!!

Well I am totally impressed at the wonderful selection of food you prepare for yourself! Do you cook for anyone else? If not, it is even more commendable and would make me hang my head in shame at what I, a Caterer, eats each day.:( :rolleyes:

Last time I ate out of a Bento box was in Dubai a few months ago, hubby took a photo and, ummm, Id not show it to anyone. The box looks almost bigger than me!!

Good on ya Gee Bee!! And keep posting the wonderful combos you do for your Bento box!:chef:

Those presentations are beautiful, grumblebee!
I'll also admit I'd never even heard of a bento box until I opened this post!

Um, time for me to be thick: what's a bento box? They look just like tuppers to me.

Whatever they are, those are the most georgeous, appetite-whetting lunches I've seen in AGES. Good for you!

Back
Top Bottom