Grumblebee's Bento of the Day

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
oh man, that last one has my stomach grumbling, grumblebee!

hmmm, sounds like a western song. grumblin' grumblin' grumblebees... :)

anyway, keep 'em coming. i love seeing you're bento pix.

Yes please, I'm enjoying this very much! I find your lunches so interesting.

Here is another of your obento fan!! I love your gorgeous lunches!! And like Lynan said, it is so commendable that you take the time and effort to create such a beauty every morning, while I would be just rushing around racing against every precious second after clinging onto my pillow until the last possible moment!! I am sure you are rewarded big time when the lunch time comes!!:)

i love this thread, i have often thought about starting a thread
what are you having for lunch? just never have

my lunches never look that good though

I've been waiting for someone to bring up obento! Last week I received a nice happy shipment from eBay, full of bento boxes and gadgets straight from Japan, purchased earlier this month.

Can't wait to start using all of it. Anyway thanks for the inspiration! :chef:

I'm glad that some people are checking this thread... I thought nobody was peeking in here! Not that it matters really... I get to enjoy my bentos even if nobody else gets to see them. Hehe.. :) I really do like preparing them and when lunchtime rolls around I get a nice lunch that looks lovely and and tastes good too. And Lynan, to answer your question, I am only preparing food for myself. I live by myself (with a few furry friends) but it is worth it to put some effort into my lunches.

Here was my bento for today, September 27th.

img_332078_0_3fc90e09d5f9370a8a5fd80ede41a1df.jpg

I used my "Mr. Bento" for today's lunch because it holds liquid things the best without them spilling all over everything.

Contents: homemade roasted veggie stew w/ sieten, kiwi and small "after eight" mint chocolate, homemade carrot puree soup (so yummy! I'll post the recipe if anyone is interested), bagel chips with la vache qui rit ("laughing cow") cheese

Grumblebee, do you eat everything cold? Thanks for posting these pictures. :) I'm learning alot!

Lunch today was fairly simple... I was feeling a bit lazy this morning. :rolleyes: It was still tasty though.

Bento for September 28th

img_332702_0_ed6f629748931ed0861687be25fbe369.jpg

Top tier- tofu dogs with little star cutouts to make it cute, baby carrots, edamame, mini babybel cheese
Lower tier- PB&J mini sandwiches in flower shapes, pretzel snack mix, few wheat crackers.

On the side- manderin orange segments in light syrup.

Half Baked said:
Grumblebee, do you eat everything cold? Thanks for posting these pictures. :) I'm learning alot!

I actually like food to be at room temperature, but things like soups or stews I will usually heat up in the microwave at work. When I do pack things that need to be heated I usually use my Mr Bento (the round 4 tiered one) because my other (cute) bento boxes arent really microwave safe.

Wow Grumblebee, these are amazing! I really like the aesthetics of the Bento boxes and the food in them. I'm looking forward to more pictures.

Wow, grumble, I am speechless... you were feeling a bit LAZY, and you go out of your way to cut out stars on wiener slices!! Just curious what do you do with the "stars" themselves, I mean the centre parts that have been cut out? I bet they will be welcome treats for your furry buddies!!:-p
And I see you are also an edamame fan!! You are giving me a craving for them!!:rolleyes:

Ah, I didn't get around to reply here yesterday, I would love the recipe for the carrot soup, as well as the roasted vegetable stew, if you can!!:)

urmaniac13 said:
Ah, I didn't get around to reply here yesterday, I would love the recipe for the carrot soup, as well as the roasted vegetable stew, if you can!!:)

Sorry its taken me awhile to get back to you, I've been so busy this week. My sister is here visiting from Holland, plus I'm working like a dog... I'm so tired! I still managed a few bentos this week and last though I didnt get many pictures. Here is the recipe for the carrot soup and I'll post the recipe for the veggie stew for you later. (dont have much time this morning... will check in later tonight)

Here is my bento for today, October 5th. (gosh, how did it get to be October, already? :ermm: )

img_335910_0_c17b02f839f3a56c0115bb3bb54a1b3c.jpg

Fixins for a salad nicoise: hardboiled egg, anchovies, green beans, cherry tomatoes, potato, olives, homemade green goddess vinegrette, spring mix salad greens.

I've been so busy that I've been kind of neglecting this thread. Oh well...I'll post my bentos whenever I get a chance. :) Here is mine from today, October 10th.

img_338471_0_e9a404c16e363349919e5ccc22b447b6.jpg

left: pan fried garlic salmon on grated daikon, carrot, cherry tomatoes and hard boiled egg.
right: homemade spaetzle w/ pesto, sauteed bell pepper and onion strips and basil

I agree with Half Baked. I see this thread on the new posts list and I just have to come and have a look. Your pictures are great, Grumblebee, but the food is even better!

Bento from October 12th.

img_339504_0_de84f645ad03cbc8275da38d60aeae59.jpg

From top left, stir-fried broccoli raab with garlic and orange- whole wheat pasta topped with tuna, peppers, onion & carrots- veggies, and orange segments with chocolate dip.

I bet everyone in your office swings by to see your lunches! You have to be the epitome of health. :)

How does this work with the food safety concerns with the seafood items? What is and isn't safe to leave out at room temperature in a bento box for ~4 hours?

I was told that the shumai and shrimp that I packed in mine today was a "no no". I've seen other people pack salmon, egg rolls, gyoza, etc...

I'm not sure why shumai would be any different from gyoza..

Anyway, any thoughts? I love making bentos but I don't much care for getting sick, lol. I have a distinct preference for traditional Japanese ingredients/items in my bentos, generally.

Back
Top Bottom