"Guess That Dish" from my poor description

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

larry_stewart

Master Chef
Years ago I stayed at a resort in West Virginia.
The breakfast selection was outstanding with a huge variety of food to choose from. I remember there was this one apple dish, the apples were peeled and wedged and cooked in a sweet sauce ( which likely had butter in it). It was extremely good, yet very simple, but I forgot what it was called. All I remember is "Apples J....." A two word name, the second starting with a J and that second word was a multi-syllable word (3 or more syllables). Im not sure if it was a classic well known dish, or just something unique to this location. I haven't been there ion 10 years, but I checked their website, and no mention of anything that resembles that name on the menu.

Just curious if anyone has any clue what im talking about.
Not planning on making it anytime soon, but its the kinda thing thats in my head and won't be able to sleep until I know what it is.

Good Luck

Sorry guys, sent you all out on a wild goose chase.

Turns out what I was thinking of was ' Escalloped Apples'.
Basically apples , sugar ( White/ brown or both), flour or corn starch, Butter, cinnamon.

I've seen many versions with additions and subtractions to the above ( Nutmeg, nuts ( pecans, walnuts), raisins, maple syrup...)

The one I had was very simple, but very good.

I think when I had it, I kinda made up a name ( that started with a J) just to amuse the kids, and I guess it stuck.

Another quick simple recipe is fried apples and onions.

Basically one apple peeled cored and sliced with one onion peeled and sliced per person fried in butter or bacon fat with a little brown sugar. Fry the onions until tender add the apples and brown sugar continue cooking until the apples are tender and just beginning to carmelize.

https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/fried-apples-and-onions/

Last edited:
Sorry guys, sent you all out on a wild goose chase.

Turns out what I was thinking of was ' Escalloped Apples'.
Basically apples , sugar ( White/ brown or both), flour or corn starch, Butter, cinnamon.

I've seen many versions with additions and subtractions to the above ( Nutmeg, nuts ( pecans, walnuts), raisins, maple syrup...)

The one I had was very simple, but very good.

I think when I had it, I kinda made up a name ( that started with a J) just to amuse the kids, and I guess it stuck.

And not a "J" in sight..

I have done that, in bold, so many times.. Its no wonder you can't recall the correct name.. :LOL::ROFLMAO:

Ross

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom