Guest with specific diet told to bring something they can eat for passover

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Just a quick update. Was invited for Rosh Hashana dinner yesterday, by the same relative. You guessed it, told to bring something we can eat. To her defense a lot of the sides were something my wife and I could eat, but I always like bringing something a little over the top, so I can hear everyone say how much they liked what I cooked compared to what she ( the host) cooked. I made my Roasted Potatoes. They all went. I also made pasta dish , which also all went. Everything else had leftovers.

Attachments

• BBQ Roasted Potatoes .png
    BBQ Roasted Potatoes .png
    1.4 MB · Views: 14
Just a quick update. Was invited for Rosh Hashana dinner yesterday, by the same relative. You guessed it, told to bring something we can eat. To her defense a lot of the sides were something my wife and I could eat, but I always like bringing something a little over the top, so I can hear everyone say how much they liked what I cooked compared to what she ( the host) cooked. I made my Roasted Potatoes. They all went. I also made pasta dish , which also all went. Everything else had leftovers.
Larry, she probably asks you to bring food because she see everyone loves your stuff and she can cook fewer items.

I don't think I took any pics of it and we ate it all up lol. Wasnt anything fancy, just better than the crap she makes. Pasta ( I used medium sized shells) , with garlic, olive oil and broccoli. Usually I make pasta with garlic, oil, spinach and crumbled feta cheese. Everyone loves that, but now that my wife I vegan, it would have defeated the purpose of making it. But that is another simple crowd pleaser. Ill check my archives to see if I have any of those pasta dishes.

Larry, there are over the top dishes that would be good for vegans, that would make great Passover foods. I'm thinking stuffed squashes, eggplants, root veggies, such as honey glazed carrots, lentils/beans, deserts made with fruits and nuts, etc.

As you were invited, be gracious, even to you SIL. Eat well, enjoy your family. I found out that forgiving others cleanses us of burdensome feelings that can ruin what could be a pleasant get together with family, and friends. You are such a great guy. Let that show through in you actions. Be the example. Others will pick up on that. Though your SIL may be a pain, she is still the wife of your brother. I assume that you and your brother get along well. Maybe bring some kind of game that everyone can play, and enjoy, after the meal.

I am a firm believer in the power of forgiving others, and trying to set a good example. I have seen it change lives for the better.

My own wife was never much liked by my mother, father, or siblings, for reasons that are now obvious to me. However, they all loved me. My stepfather set the example on this one, and counseled my mother, and siblings to give my wife a chance. He told them that I loved her, and so there must be qualities in her to love.

Did I mention that my stepfather has always been one of my heroes? His integrity, honesty, work ethic, and the fact that he championed others against bullies, and ill willed people made him the example that I try to emulate.

Larry, be like my stepfather. You just might be someone's hero.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North
Love this - I had similar problems with my late husband. Lovely that your stepfather spoke up for you and your wife.

Funny, it is a year later that I am reading this thread. I actually was searching for Cabbage rolls, but this link was provided. Strange. Interesting thread. Not sure how I feel about the whole thing. Because we keep kosher, we simply do not get invited anywhere. Even though I/we always invite everybody, and I always tell people that they do not have to worry about food. I will bring my own. But, no... still no invitation. I think people feel intimidated some how. And on a rare occasion that we do get invited, I am happy to prepare our own foods and of course I make plenty extra, for others to try.

Back
Top Bottom