Guy Fieri opinions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
What she said....

If someone tells me they don't like bacon then I'm just a liiiittle suspicious of them...:pig:
I love bacon. Bacon butties (Brit slang for bacon sandwiches) are one of my favourite foods. It was the candied and served with something sweet that I thought was odd and a bit bleuch - We're used to bacon always being use in savoury dishes.

Mind you, when I think about it we eat sweet apple sauce with roast pork and sweet redcurrant sauce with lamb and venison. As I say, we have no room to talk about strange foods over here!

And those aren't exactly new ideas either. Elvis' purported favorite sandwich was a grilled peanut butter/bacon/banana sandwich. I'll pass. When my parents would take me to Cedar Point I'd get to invite a friend along because I'm an only child. We packed a picnic basket most of the time. My friend Caroline would bring a bacon and mayo sandwich for her lunch. It looked so good, and my Mom so wouldn't make one for me. :(
In reactionary Brit cooking Mayo goes with salad - period. However, when I first went to Menorca many years ago I was introduced to mayo with roast meat, in particular pork or chicken. Yum! So I'm with you on the bacon and mayo sandwich.

I'm also partial to a chicken, mayo and apricot jam sandwich (sort of coronation chicken without the curry flavour). And crunchy peanut butter with grated carrot on granary or wholemeal bread.

:ermm: Candied bacon is beginning to sound less and less weird!

I love bacon. Bacon butties (Brit slang for bacon sandwiches) are one of my favourite foods. It was the candied and served with something sweet that I thought was odd and a bit bleuch - We're used to bacon always being use in savoury dishes.

Mind you, when I think about it we eat sweet apple sauce with roast pork and sweet redcurrant sauce with lamb and venison. As I say, we have no room to talk about strange foods over here!

I love bacon but I don't know if I'm with candying it and putting it in baked good. Then again, when I eat it with pancakes and syrup it's sort of the same context...I guess lol.

There is a restaurant here that sells bacon jam... Doesn't sound very appetizing to me but they can't keep it in stock. I will try it if I can ever get my hands on a jar of it.

FN found a gem in Guy - he is a decent family man who respects his parents and his wife - and loves his boys. I wish him continued success.

I was wondering what food lovers and cooks opinion on Guy Fieri was. All my friends who don't enjoy cooking and food as much as I do thinks he is a tool, a douche', etc etc etc.

I think he is an amazing tv personality and his show is so resourceful. If you are traveling it is nice to know where to go eat in that area. I've been to multiple places where he has been to, but I went there first before I saw the episodes, and some places are good and some places aren't.

Here is what NYC thought of him:

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/11/14/dining/reviews/restaurant-review-guys-american-kitchen-bar-in-times-square.html

His DDD show is okay and he is entertainingat times. BUT, he is always stic king his fingers in the food being prepared and the way he stuffs those sandwiches in his mouth is just a tad gross.

I agree with that article. He may be a nice guy personally but .....

He became popular by featuring small Mom and Pop joints. Featuring "Real American" food made by hard working, dedicated restaurant owners. Now, he has sold out and started franchises that don't deliver on the claims, and are anything but what he endorses on his programs. Just a figure head like any other Franchise. I call hypocrisy on that and have no interest supporting anything like that. He also is no longer "the little, blue collar, ordinary Guy". Just another celeb selling concept with no substance...

His next tv show should be called Food Franchises, Farces and Failures....

Last edited:
Guy Fieri is possibly a nice guy. TMZ caught him and his hairdresser (HUH?) in a fight with a video which I won't link to because it mostly consists of a four letter word. :)

BTW---- the latest reviews about that NYC Fieri restaurant, while not quite as bad as the first one, aren't that great. One other review site had a totally different opinion----- said it was great! I think I'll pass the next time I'm in NY, which will be never. :)

Guy's American Kitchen and Bar - Midtown West - New York, NY

I was wondering what food lovers and cooks opinion on Guy Fieri was. All my friends who don't enjoy cooking and food as much as I do thinks he is a tool, a douche', etc etc etc.

I think he is an amazing tv personality and his show is so resourceful. If you are traveling it is nice to know where to go eat in that area. I've been to multiple places where he has been to, but I went there first before I saw the episodes, and some places are good and some places aren't.
Quite good fun to watch but when you've seen one "triple D" you've seen them all. We got a few of his cookery programmes which I enjoyed but they weren't anything out of the ordinary.

Yeah I could really care less about how he cooks, He just has a way with people and triple D is a great show.

If you guys have been to any of the places name them and rate em.
-Since my memory is shot I'll name a few I am certain I can remember

I lived in Charleston SC this past summer and I went to Fuel which he went to. Absolutely love the young vibe from the place. Only went for brunch but it was prettty great.

Guy went to the Glass Onion which was up the road from my house in West Ashley SC and I will have to go there when I get back

I also went to Quahogs Seafood Shack in Stone Harbor NJ and thought the food was pretty poor, and the service was atrocious. Might have been a bad night not really sure. I also think the chef that was on the episode wasn't there anymore because his food looked amazing and Guy said it was one of the best seafood dishes he ever had. They weren't putting out that quality of food.

I know there are a few other places I just can't think of right now. But it is always cool to try the things he trys because usually they look and are so damn good.
"I also went to Quahogs Seafood Shack in Stone Harbor NJ and thought the food was pretty poor, and the service was atrocious. Might have been a bad night not really sure. I also think the chef that was on the episode wasn't there anymore because his food looked amazing and Guy said it was one of the best seafood dishes he ever had. They weren't putting out that quality of food."

It's a common problem that, when a good restaurant has been featured in a magazine article or a television programme, it often goes down hill. Either the proprietors can't keep up with the increase footfall and the joint goes down hill or they go all out to enlarge and improve and it all goes bottoms up when the customers move on to the next fashionable place.

Last edited:
I love bacon but I don't know if I'm with candying it and putting it in baked good. Then again, when I eat it with pancakes and syrup it's sort of the same context...I guess lol.

There is a restaurant here that sells bacon jam... Doesn't sound very appetizing to me but they can't keep it in stock. I will try it if I can ever get my hands on a jar of it.

A year or two back, we had a site for making bacon jam. Do a search in the space at the top and see if you can find it. :angel:

Guy Fieri is possibly a nice guy. TMZ caught him and his hairdresser (HUH?) in a fight with a video which I won't link to because it mostly consists of a four letter word. :)

I really like Guy. He presents himself as an ordinary down to earth kind of person. And really, who hasn't had a fight with their hairdresser.:ermm:

The longer FN stays on, the less food or cooking is on that network I see. I am tired of somebody traveling abroad, or drive around small towns, or big cities for that matter. Show me simple cooking, from start to the end with the ingredients and amounts of those ingredients with details of how to cook them. I don’t care what menu is served somewhere half way across the world unless you tell me how I personally could make that stuff in my kitchen. So Guy or Gal Fieri, I am tired of them all. I don’t even remember when I turn on the FN last time. Booooring….

The longer FN stays on, the less food or cooking is on that network I see. I am tired of somebody traveling abroad, or drive around small towns, or big cities for that matter. Show me simple cooking, from start to the end with the ingredients and amounts of those ingredients with details of how to cook them. I don’t care what menu is served somewhere half way across the world unless you tell me how I personally could make that stuff in my kitchen. So Guy or Gal Fieri, I am tired of them all. I don’t even remember when I turn on the FN last time. Booooring….

Although I do enjoy seeing food that is across the world (and eating it) I have to agree with CharlieD in some of his thoughts.

Most of those cooking shows will show how to cook something----- but at the speed of light! O.K., so I'm a senior. So most things are too fast for me. :ohmy:

But I remember when Julia Child and Pepin and others actually showed how to do a procedure at a speed that could be assimilated. I was much younger then and I never thought they went too slow. :rolleyes:

I've just recently started watching Unique Sweets----- but will stop because of those inanely, insanely and all-too-cutesy commentators! Sheesh!

Although YouTube has some pretty dismal cooking vids---some are also pretty good. And usually no cutesy commentators that make me want to tear my hair out!

totally off topic. Garlic, tell me how does it work? Do you have a newer TV then too? I've seen commercial for it, but never bothered to really look into it. Would be interesting to know from the first hand user.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom