Gyros

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Termy

Senior Cook
Place down the street has everything for them except maybe the produce.

What I make is pretty normal but I found a good shortcut for the sauce.

First of all, a gyro is on pita bread usually, though I have used burrito wraps and liked them that way. Normal gyro;

The meat. We use lamb, in Greece they use pork.
Tomato
Onion
Green pepper

And the sauce.

Normally the cukes for the sauce must be drained overnight, I eliminated that.

My method is when you peel them, get the peels out of the way and keep on peeling. These thin chards of cuke go in a screen strainer and you press them down to get the moisture out.

Then go in the garlic, dill, lemon, salt and pepper and whatever, but the cukes are dry enough. Once pressed in this manner they can go to the food processor.

T

I shred the cukes in the food processor, then salt them lightly and let them sit for about 15 minutes with one side elevated a little, while I prepare the rest of the ingredients. This gets rid of most of the moisture and seasons them.

Well with this overnight crap, I assume them people want them as dry as possible. The main thing from what I have heard is that it thins out the sauce too much. That did not happen to me when I did it that way, even over a few nights.

However I am thinking there may be another reason. To make the cuke flavor more concentrated. In some, there is more cuke flavor in there than there is in cukes.

T

Well with this overnight crap, I assume them people want them as dry as possible. The main thing from what I have heard is that it thins out the sauce too much. That did not happen to me when I did it that way, even over a few nights.

However I am thinking there may be another reason. To make the cuke flavor more concentrated. In some, there is more cuke flavor in there than there is in cukes.

T
I know. I think it's overkill to leave them all night. Not every recipe writer knows what they're talking about and then other people repeat stuff without testing, etc., etc. I make tzatziki several times each summer and different sauces using yogurt and cucumbers as a base all year, so I know my method works.

And yes, eliminating water concentrates the flavor of the cukes, just like it does with tomatoes, zucchini, etc.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom