Happy New Year ~ Dinner Thread for January 1, 2023

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kaneohegirlinaz

Wannabe TV Chef
Central/Northern AZ, gateway to The Grand Canyon
You would have thought that after all the celebratory eating over the past week, no one would want to eat o_O WHAT?! Are you crazy?!

My plan is going along the lines of tradition in Hawaii : Noodles for long life.
I'll be making a pot of Spaghetti and Mussel Marinara for DH and Shrimp Scampi-style for moi.

What's your first dinner of 2023 lookin' like?

New Year's Day dinner was our postponed Christmas dinner. Eye round roast, baked potato (oiled and salted before baking), yorkshire pudding, spinach, and burgundy pan gravy.
The pud turned out beautiful.

eye_round_new_year_010123_1_IMG_0494.jpg

yorkshire_pudding_new_year_010123_2_IMG_0492.jpg

We finished off almost all of the rest of the Yule pork roast. I served slices on wholewheat English muffins and topped with gravy. Nuked some frozen corn as our veg. Not exciting, but pretty good for beige food.

Attachments

• Hot pork sandwiches and corn.jpg
    Hot pork sandwiches and corn.jpg
    210.5 KB · Views: 1
  • Hot pork sandwiches and corn 2.jpg
    Hot pork sandwiches and corn 2.jpg
    198.3 KB · Views: 1
Tonight was Loverly's turn for her birthday dinner. She really likes Olive Garden, so we went there. Do to a rescheduled dental appointment, Goober came along for a bonus dinner. :D Pastas around, of course. Goober also got a take-away dessert - tiramisu. It will be breakfast before he has two wisdom teeth extracted tomorrow.

Golly, Everyone! it all looks soooo delicious!
New Year's Day dinner was our postponed Christmas dinner. Eye round roast, baked potato (oiled and salted before baking), yorkshire pudding, spinach, and burgundy pan gravy.

Especially that pudding! WOW, beautiful msm!

I made a meatloaf, ate 1/4 of it when it came out, not bad, not my best. But the other 3 portions will be meals while my wrist and fingers heal from the knife coming up tomorrow. Picture is just before the oven, LOL didn't look much different when it came out, just a little browner. 20230101_125833.jpg

New Year's day I got some things out of the freezer - trying to get some "older things" out of there, and got some tortillas and 26 oz of ham. I also took out 12 oz of green beans, from last year's harvest - not old, but I wanted some vegetables in whatever I threw together. Not used often in Mexican cooking, as well as ham, but I put together a chili/mole dish, with some pinto beans - also old, but they still cooked up well.

I made up a mole sauce, with the usual seasonings - some toasted sesame, pumpkin seeds, Mexican cinnamon, allspice, black peppercorns, cumin, and coriander seed. I toasted some whole garlic cloves, and I also toasted some chiles - guajillos, mulato, cascabel, and a pasilla, and some dried tomatoes, and soaked those, before blending smooth in the Vitamix, with the seeds, garlic, and a half a tablet of Mexican chocolate. I scraped this into the wok, then washed the blender out with water, and used that for cooking the pintos. I cooked a large, chopped onion in the Instant Pot in some oil, before adding the beans and that "mole water", and cooked them on manual, 25 min, while doing the mole on the stove, releasing the pressure naturally.

While that was cooking, I cooked down the mole, starting on low, with that splatter screen, scraping more often, once it gets thicker, then I raised the heat, and scraped it constantly, until darker, and very thick.

When beans were done, I put the thawed beans in, along with the mole, and the diced ham, and some red lentils (needed a little more thickness, but I didn't want to do it with masa). Didn't add salt, though it definitely needed more, since the ham will add some. I simmered another 25 minutes, and then added a little salt. Served some, with the heated up tortillas. The tortillas were almost 2 years old, but still good, in the vacuum bag. And these are those really good ones - not made with the corn flour, but the nixtamal, before it is dried out.
Pan toasted dried tomatoes and Chiles, for the mole, before blending. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Mole, just getting ready to cook it down. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Wok cover, to prevent the splatter, in the beginning. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Finished mole, cooked very thick, and ready to go into the pintos.. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

The mole/chili dish, with some frozen green beans and ham added towards the end, cooking another 30 min. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Those frozen corn tortillas, getting ready to heat some up. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Heating a tortilla up over the gas flame. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

The finished chili/mole, with a couple heated tortillas, and some Tia Angelita Queso Fresco. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

I have a LOT of leftover, of whatever that is, and made some for a friend and me for lunch - layered with 3 tortillas and some cheese, and heated in the MW. Something I often do with leftovers.

eye_round_new_year_010123_1_IMG_0494.jpg

Is that one big Yorkshire pudding? It looks great. I've never made it before.

Golly, Everyone! it all looks soooo delicious!

Especially that pudding! WOW, beautiful msm!

I made a meatloaf, ate 1/4 of it when it came out, not bad, not my best. But the other 3 portions will be meals while my wrist and fingers heal from the knife coming up tomorrow. Picture is just before the oven, LOL didn't look much different when it came out, just a little browner. View attachment 63038
Did I miss something? Are you have surgery on your hand? Sending positive vibes, just in case.

Back
Top Bottom