Has anyone ever used cherry juice to tint a cake?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nrkelly

Assistant Cook
I've got a white butter cake mix for my daughter's birthday cake. I'd like to make it pink and I know that somewhere I've heard of using maraschino cherry juice to tint cakes. Has anyone ever done it? How much do I use? Will it make it taste really cherry like or not much at all? She doesn't really like cherry cakes but I don't know what else to tint it with that will make it bright enough.

Thanks.

First, Nicole, welcome to DC. I'm sure you'll like it here. Regardless of the questions you might ask, you'll always get an answer or two, or three, or....

Anyhow, just how pink do you want to make the cake? The first thing that came to my mind was basic food coloring, either liquid or paste. Failing that, I would imagine the maraschino cherry juice would do the trick to make the cake a faint pink without giving too much of a cherry flavor. Reason says that the more juice you add, the more likely the cake will be flavored. I don't have any experience using maraschino cherry juice to tint cake batter, but I can assure you, there IS someone on this site who does or who can explain the science of same.

Best wishes. You will most certainly get an answer.:)

Thanks Katie. I've been here for a few months now. :)

I might try pink food coloring instead, I just don't want it to make the cake taste bitter.

Back
Top Bottom