Has anyone used beeswax wraps?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

taxlady

Chef Extraordinaire
Moderator Emeritus
I really, really prefer to use reusable stuff over throwaway stuff. There's enough stuff going to the landfills. I prefer to contribute the least possible.

So I have been looking into alternatives to plastic wrap and plastic bags. This may not be the perfect substitute in all cases, but it sounds pretty good as a way to use less disposable plastic. The alternative that has my attention at the moment is beeswax wraps. This is the kit that I am looking at. N.B., the price is in Canadian dollars, so figure that in US dollars that would be 3/4 of that amount - about USD 22.27.

Does anyone here use them? Have friends that use them? What is your impression of them? Do you like them?

I got some as a gift from my DIL. I used them once or twice but to tell the truth I don't find them satisfactory. Maybe I just wasn't using them properly but I felt the were too stiff to wrap properly and enclose the items.
and since moving here, I've noticed my DIL's are at the back of the drawer. :sneaky:
taxy, I agree with you. I guess I should get mine out and make a better effort to try to use them right?
Lee Valley isn't the cheapest place to shop. You might want to look around some.

They have to break in to be properly flexible and air resistant. I have a few. I've read to warm them up the first few times you use them to get the desired flexibility.

I've liked the reusable silicone bags better.

Last edited:
Search "beeswax wrap" on Amazon. There are a lot of choices.

Search "beeswax wrap" on Amazon. There are a lot of choices.
I'm trying to avoid purchasing from Amazon. Lee Valley is a family owned, Canadian company. Their customer service is excellent. I'm not really looking for other options for beeswax wraps. I'm looking for people's experience with them.

They have to break in to be properly flexible and air resistant. I have a few. I've read to warm them up the first few times you use them to get the desired flexibility.

I've liked the reusable silicone bags better.
Thanks for the tip on breaking them in and warming them. I have also been looking at the silicone bags. I think they are just different enough that the two items fill slightly different, overlapping niches.

I’ve been looking at both beeswax and silicone. That’s why I also suggested Amazon. Shipping from Canada may be to high for me plus the customs issues.

I’ve been looking at both beeswax and silicone. That’s why I also suggested Amazon. Shipping from Canada may be to high for me plus the customs issues.
Lee Valley has a US site and I believe they ship from the US on orders placed at that site. Didn't they offer to take you to the US site when you clicked the link? if you want, I can find you a link to the US site.

I did checkout the Canadian Amazon site. The prices were actually similar, but they didn't seem to have kits. I couldn't find any beeswax for wraps, just ready made wraps. So, yeah, I will have to put the wax on the fabric to turn them into wraps, but that means that I can refresh them if needed and make more, using my own cotton fabric.

OK, I realize my confusion. You were talking about the wax to make your own sheets.
I try to get in touch with some friends of mine who have an apiary up north. I'm sure they will know what you need and probably have a kit for sale. They are very ecology conscious about their business.

CG, thanks, I do know what they are as I have some of these beeswax wraps. I just got confused when taxy said she couldn't find wax for the beeswax wraps, just the beeswax wraps. I thought she was talking about bags or something like that not the wax itself to make her own sheets.

CG, thanks, I do know what they are as I have some of these beeswax wraps. I just got confused when taxy said she couldn't find wax for the beeswax wraps, just the beeswax wraps. I thought she was talking about bags or something like that not the wax itself to make her own sheets.
I'm sure I could find beeswax other places than Amazon. However, according to the blurb about the wax on the Lee Valley site (and in some of the descriptions on Amazon), it's not just plain beeswax. There are other things added to the beeswax to make it work better as a coating for the fabric to make that into wraps. One of the places uses soy wax as an addition to the beeswax. I wonder if that would get into the food and cause problems for people who are allergic to soy.

Back
Top Bottom