Hattori FH-6C Gyuto 210mm

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The HD is sweet. 210mm is a bit shorter than I prefer but should serve you well. I'm curious to hear some feedback once you get it.

GB I think you're going to be the one that makes me finally get this knife. Once I get my Global sold (and I'm thinking the Shun as well) I'll probably skip the Kanetsune and just get this one. Can't wait for you to get yours!

Hahaha!:LOL: The "knife disease" is like an infected zombie bite!:ROFLMAO:

210 mm. for $277 is $33.50 per inch. Wood's pretty but micarta might be more stabile?

There's a reasonable chance the wood's been stabilized. If not, it's at least very well dried and then treated. But yeah, that's the great advantage of micarta- it's incredibly strong and very, very stable.

The wait won't be long. It's shocking how fast EMS is. You might get is faster than if you're have purchased a different knife from the opposite side of the US!:cool:
You are not kidding Rob. I had it sent to my office figuring I would not see it until sometime during the week so I would get it during the day instead of having to wait until I got home at night if I had it sent there. I gambled and lost. If I sent it home instead I would have had it yesterday. Oh well. At least I know it will be in my hands tomorrow. They were incredibly fast!

There's a reasonable chance the wood's been stabilized. If not, it's at least very well dried and then treated. But yeah, that's the great advantage of micarta- it's incredibly strong and very, very stable.
I'm not sure that it makes much difference other than cosmetic what the handle materiel is. My Forschners are 50 years old with rosewood handles. All took a lot of abuse in a packing house environment when new, and none have ever shown any inclination to crack. Like a CI skillet, the natural oils eventually form a protective coating.

In Forschner knives the handle shape is different in wood and Fibrox. It fits my hands better. Besides, I just like wood.

It depends on the wood, Jim. Spalted wood, for example, is beautiful but inherently "rotten." It must be stabilized to survive a month. Snakewood is very rare and very expensive, yet fragile and sensitive to humidy to boot. Rosewood is great, as is hickory, walnut, etc. Some woods are more fragile or hygroscopic than others. It also depends on the type of scales, too. A bolsterless knife is a bit more forgiving of shrinking than one that must mate perfectly with a forged or welded bolster.

Ok. I spent about 3 hours using a Smith's 600 grit stone and some oil to sharpen my chef's knife. It goes through a tomato with zero pressure with ease. I tried dropping a fresh tomato on the blade, as in the YouTube video. First attempt, my aim was off and the side of the tomato hit the knife blade. It cut off a slice. I was happy. I tried two more times, with each drop more carefully aimed. Alas, when the tomato dropped onto the knife so that the center of it hit the cutting edge, it failed to cut, or even break the tomato skin. Now as I said, when lightly pinching the side of the handle, and allowing just the weight of the blade to provide pressure, it slices through the tomato effortlessly. I need to get better sharpening gear if I want to get sharp enough to drop a tomato on my knife and have it cut on contact.

Now the broadheads on my arrows were that sharp before I gave my bow to my son. Does that count?:LOL:

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

You need to take copious amounts of close up pictures.
More pictures and maybe video to come hopefully, but I just got the knife here at my office so I took this shot with my phone so that I could post it now.

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 637
GB congrats on your new knife. Looks great!

I watched the video with interest and decided to try it for myself.

I have a Henckels Pro S 8" Chef's Knife. I sharpen it myself to a 25 degree angle on each side but not nearly often enough. I have been telling myself lately that I really should clear a space at my workbench so I could sharpen my knives again because they were not as sharp as they should be.

Today I was having a fresh garden tomato as part of my lunch and decided to reenact the video. I watched the video so I could accurately approximate the angle of the knife and the height from which the tomato was dropped. It worked! The tomato ended up on my counter neatly and smoothly cut in half.

Now all this tells me is that the test is not very good at showing that a knife is super sharp. It's just a slick trick.

i have no doubt that good J-knives can be a lot sharper than my Pro S (heck, my Pro S can be a lot sharper if I chose to change the angle and sharpen it more often) but this test is not the way to demonstrate that.

Andy, thank you for doing that. I was wondering if it really was a good test or not. There sure is showmanship value to it, but maybe nothing more than that. I would be curious to try it with a cherry tomato as Rob suggested. I am guessing that might be a better test. Or maybe try dropping it with almost no distance between the drop and the blade.

Andy, thank you for doing that. I was wondering if it really was a good test or not. There sure is showmanship value to it, but maybe nothing more than that. I would be curious to try it with a cherry tomato as Rob suggested. I am guessing that might be a better test. Or maybe try dropping it with almost no distance between the drop and the blade.

Have fun. Leaving work early today?

Don't I wish. Actually I am, but it is to make it to an appointment after work so I will be getting home later than usual. If I was smart I would have brought a cutting board to the office today and spent my lunch playing. I am not smart though.

Don't I wish. Actually I am, but it is to make it to an appointment after work so I will be getting home later than usual. If I was smart I would have brought a cutting board to the office today and spent my lunch playing. I am not smart though.

You're smart. You're not a lunatic.

After all these years I thought you knew me Andy. Well thank you for the compliment even if there are many others who would disagree with your assessment of me.

Back
Top Bottom