Have you ever added tahini to a smoothie?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't do smoothies but I actually came across one while surfing and it had tahini in the title.

Someone must have liked the idea.

they sometimes serve it in israel and i thought you would like the idea too

i want to add one to a smoothie with a cocoa powder

thanks for the link

btw
smoothies in israel are just called 'shakes' (שייק)

will it also go well in a strawberry smoothie?

I put some tahini in a smoothie one time, but was not overly impressed - the flavor was not really that noticeable. I don't recall what the flavor was, but I'm sure it was a fruit smoothie, of some sort. I did make some brownies one time with tahini - a recipe from Milk Street - that was delicious.

I make my own tahini in my Vitamix, using plain, white sesame seeds, since this is the type called for in most authentic recipes. Some brands have toasted seeds, but I wouldn't want this in many recipes, as the flavor would overwhelm the dish, though it may be better in sweets. If I do want that flavor in something, I can add a few drops of Asian sesame oil.

Last edited:
have you made the cookies by yourself?

what are your favorite tahini brands and why?

I dont particularly have a favorite brand
I dont use it often

the cookies I got from a bakery.
I didn't have high expectations, but must admit, they were very good.
The tahini added a ' peanut butter like' aspect to it.
It was like one of those things where you couldn't taste it but you could ( if that makes any sense).

pepperhead212

i think that making your own tahini means that you will eat the skin of the sesame too.
when they produce it in a factory i think the remove it

i've made a raw sesame tahini once

i'm not sure that i like it much but i know many people will gladly prefer it

i think that sometimes using a more "healthy" option while sometimes using a less "healthy" option is a better way to go

i like tahini cookies some of they can be made without flour BTW
they are usually crunchy

anyhow. most of the times i will prefer chewy/soft cookies over the crunchiness

pepperhead212

i think that making your own tahini means that you will eat the skin of the sesame too.
when they produce it in a factory i think the remove it
By "white" sesame seeds I was referring to the ones that have had the hulls, or skins, removed. Years ago I tried the natural sesame seeds, that still had the skins, but they really didn't taste as good. And another strange thing I found out was that toasting the natural seeds, with the skins still on, doesn't result in that flavor you get from toasted white seeds. Black seeds I only use in small amounts, mostly for the appearance, as they only get a little of that toasty flavor. I never thought about making tahini with them, but there probably is some out there somewhere!

Last edited:
i didn't knew you can buy them without the skin.
only in health food shops? most of them?

do they also sell raw tahini in north america? or you must make at home?

I don't remember ever seeing sesame seeds that were not hulled at the grocery store. It's the ones that still have the hulls that I only find at the health food store.

I make my own tahini, as there´s only one brand available in Venezuela and it´s ridiculously expensive.
I buy hulled, white sesame seeds in the markets.

Back
Top Bottom