Have you ever made: Homemade ricotta?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I went to the link you posted, Margi and found the recipe. What I see in the pictures actually looks very close to what I make. The store bought ricotta, seems to me, has different texture. Maybe it is the process that makes the difference in ricotta or farmer's cheese. Though I hve used both lemon juice and the sour cram or yogurt as a starter.

Blintzes, Bill, you are teasing me. Right now before Passover there is no time to make them. Too much cleaning. Maybe after Passover i will have to make some.

Thank you so much for sharing your recipe Margi. I recently found a recipe for Ricotta in a magazine, but haven't got around to trying it. But your recipe sounds like it would make a much nicer cheese. Plus, this whole thread has been quite informative!

Now I'm eager to see if I can find some fresh whole milk to buy. There's quite a few farms around here and several little "farmer's markets". From what I've read here in this thread, I think I would get a much nicer cheese with fresh milk than what I would from store-bought milk.

@ Vanitas and @ Charlie: Thanks for feedback

Thank you so much for sharing your recipe Margi. I recently found a recipe for Ricotta in a magazine, but haven't got around to trying it. But your recipe sounds like it would make a much nicer cheese. Plus, this whole thread has been quite informative!

Now I'm eager to see if I can find some fresh whole milk to buy. There's quite a few farms around here and several little "farmer's markets". From what I've read here in this thread, I think I would get a much nicer cheese with fresh milk than what I would from store-bought milk.

@ Vanitas,

Just use regular whole milk ... do not bother with organic ... Steve is correct ... it changes the milk texture ... Normal quality products ...

@ Charlie,

Happy Holidays.

The texture of my ricotta, is NOT cottage cheesey ... NO !
As you have mentioned, it is more on the Farmer´s Cheese texture, however just a wee wee bit less pastey ...

REQUESON in Spain is Farmer´s Cheese and manufactured Ricotta is quite different, yet still both have a pastey and spreadable texture --- unlike Cottage cheese which is curdy --- and quite wet ...

My recipe: is not wet, nor humid ... More like the Farmer´s Cheese, however just a wee wee bit less pastey ... Delectable for Focaccia Filled Oven Baked by Scratch Bread ...

Just perfect for filling manicotti !! and baking in oven ... great lunch for tomorrow ...

Thanks for all the posts.
Margi.

Last edited:
The ricotta ere is totally different than farmer's cheese, at least the brand I buy. Ricotta is actually more like cotage chees than farmer's cheese.

@ Vanitas,

Just use regular whole milk ... do not bother with organic ... Steve is correct ... it changes the milk texture ... Normal quality products ...
Whoops! Sorry, I meant fresh farm milk - right from the cow :wacko:

The ricotta ere is totally different than farmer's cheese, at least the brand I buy. Ricotta is actually more like cotage chees than farmer's cheese.
Same here. I did a quick Google on the Requeson cheese that Margi mentioned and yes, it absolutely looks like Ricotta. I'm thinking it's just a regional thing, because the farmer's cheese I get around me is a fairly firm block cheese and nothing like Ricotta. That being said, I would relate Ricotta to a "pressed together Cottage Cheese, minus the liquid".

I had no idea cheeses were so different around the world. I'm still learning from this thread!

Blintzes, Bill, you are teasing me. Right now before Passover there is no time to make them. Too much cleaning. Maybe after Passover i will have to make some.
Chag Sameach to you and yours CD.
When I was a child my Mum had a house cow so farmers cheese was on the table more than butter. I cant get raw cows milk but I can get goats to make the cheese.:)

The reason my parents got a house cow was because I and my two brothers caught undulent fever from raw infected milk. It happened 50 yrs ago and my memory of it is still vivid, I would not wish it on anyone.

@ Charlie,

It would probably be time consuming to drive through the country´s or state´s dairies in the USA, and asking for the amount of raw milk required to make a bit of Ricotta ...

However, it can be done ... especially in dairy regions of the Mediterranean ... ( a little financial gift should be convincing during the crisis --- and it is a very tiny amount needed for ricotta making ... )

DAIRY ZONES:

*** Galicia, Asturias and Cantabria: northern west and north central Spain
*** Lombardia, Piemonte, Veneto : northwest and northeast Italy
*** Emilia Romagna, Italy: Parma for Reggiano Parmesano

*** for sheep cheese: the mountains in SARDINIA certainly, as I have done it !!! I love Pecorino fiore sardo !!! to die and go to heaven for ...
Thanks for post.
Margi.

Last edited:
Typically we prefer most imported cheeses to the domestic USA clones. In some instances the same brand cheese produced in the USA is not as good as the imported version of that brand; E.G. Bel Paese, as it was available in Italy 45 - 50 years ago.

The only American produce cheese I like is Havarti, everything else is a poor imitation. Unfortunatelly people here do not realise how (hm, how should I say this?)
how much more advanced/better the dairy products in some other countries are. Not everywhere but even in stupid soviet days the variety and availability (if you had conections) of dairy products were so much better, especially the quality.

@ Charlie,

It would probably be time consuming to drive through the country...

It really would be, especially in the winter month, when driving is no fun to begin with. The main problem however is the fact that state (at least here in Minnesota) prohibits the sale of raw milk. Ah, how I love raw milk. :(
So it is not only problem to drive to the place, finding the safe and clean farm so no harm will be done from drinking the raw milk, but also finding farmers who are willing to break the law. Now in my case it makes it even harder becasue there is the kosher issue is involved.

CharlieD said:
It really would be, especially in the winter month, when driving is no fun to begin with. The main problem however is the fact that state (at least here in Minnesota) prohibits the sale of raw milk. Ah, how I love raw milk. :(
Bummer, it's also illegal to sell raw milk here in BC.

What a tease... there's so many farms nearby. I can hear cows from my house.

Well, to the supermarket I go.

I did some Googling and found a very interesting resource. It's a list of farms in the USA and other countries, where you can obtain raw milk.

I looked up Canada and found one place that sells "shares" in the herd and I guess then the milk is yours. You don't buy milk; you buy part of a cow or goat herd. I had heard of this workaround before.

Here are the links: Where Can I Find Real Milk Products?

Where Can I Find Real (Raw) Milk?--Other Countries

@ Charlie,

Good Afternoon. Hope you are enjoying ur holidays.

Firstly, I am so curious ...

1) For example, there is a large Kosher Wine Business in La Rioja, Spain ...
What historic rituals make a wine in a bottle Kosher ?

2) The same question for cheese ? or raw milk ?

3rdly, are there neutral foods, which do not require a Kosher or unkosher status ?

I am aware, that shellfish ( lobster, prawns, crab, oysters, mussels and clams for example), pork products or mixing meat with dairy is not kosher.

How does this work with Fruit or Veggies ?

I am asking as I had been quite amazed when La Rioja had increased their wine production especially for the Israeli, USA, Canadian and UK markets ...

Kind reagrds.
Margi. Cintrano.

Thanks for the links taxlady!!

I'm in the same boat, Charlie. Closest one to me is about 2.5 hours away. Good to know though!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom