Hello everyone!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

meltingpotmama

Assistant Cook
Hi there! I'd like to introduce myself and then pose a question. I am a 31 yr old SAHM to two daughters ages 4 and 1 and enjoy cooking (but hate to clean it up) and learning new tips and tricks and trading recipes. I love to meet new people and make new online friends.

My question is: Where would I post a thread if I'd like to see if anyone here has some good ideas on dishes to prepare for my first Thanksgiving for my family (and in laws!!!)? I need some recipes, some ideas and a little cheering section of my own, because I think my husband thinks I have it covered, but I'm really a nervous wreck and it's only Sept. So I'd like to be prepared and test drive some of the recipes. I know were having turkey and ham, so the sides, appetizers, breads and desserts is really what I need help with. Can someone tell me where to post this or is this thread o.k?

Hello there and welcome to the forum!! This place is always teeming with fun, nice camaraderie and useful informations, I hope and believe you will make yourself at home here right away!!
To post your Q. etc., just take a look at "forum listing" (from the homepage, you will see "quick links" on the left side, there you will find the "forum listing".) All the threads are grouped into the relevant category and you will easily see which one is the most relevant to your intended post.
I hope you will have loads of fun with us, and look forward to seeing you around often!

Welcome to DC, Meltingpotmama!! You will love it here. Once you post on the thread that you need, click on "new posts" up on top every once in a while and see your answers faster than searching out the thread again.
There a lot of good cooks in here with an answer to every question that I have seen asked.

17.gif

Welcome to the site. We are so happy to have you here. I have never hosted Thanksgiving at my house, but would probably be just as nervous as you are. It is a big undertaking.

As for where to post your question, there are a few possibilities. A general question about advice on hosting Thanksgiving dinner would fit nicely in the General Cooking Questions category. If you have specific questions about appetizers, breads and desserts though, we have specific forums for each of those things.

I am sure you will get a lot of valuable advice here to help you pull this off without a hitch. I can't wait to hear how it turns out for you :)

Welcome Welcome Welcome!

Here's a link for you to peruse: http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/search.php?searchid=86309
that should help you get started!

I've hosted Thanksgiving and love it! My tips for you:
**I purchased an 18 qt. roaster at WalMart last year. I have since cooked about a dozen turkeys in it (I usually buy a 16-18 lb bird) and it is the best! Your oven is freed up, and the bird is unbelievably moist. Also, you can't mess up with it, as it slow cooks. The meat falls off the bone, and your guests think you are a cooking genius. (PS -cleanup is a snap too) I now use the roaster so much that I got rid of my crockpot. (oh - and the roaster was really cheap!)
**Make a menu now and try each item once/week. See how you can change it around to perfect it for your meal. Write down exactly how much time it takes to do each step.
**Even though I love to make homemade brioche rolls, this is one meal where nobody cares if you purchase rolls. Order them from your local bakery (or grocery store bakery)the week before and they generally have pickups starting at 6am Thanksgiving day.
**If you want to have cookies on your menu, bake regular sugar cookies (perhaps with cinnamon) and cut them into autumn shapes. Freeze, then defrost 1 day before the big day. Have your kid(s) decorate them. Grandparents love this!

I'll try to remember more as the day progresses.

Again, welcome to our family!

Welcome Meltingpotmama,

you've come to the right place..We love new members and helping them in any way we can...I'm sure you will find just what you're looking for and will have a wonderful first Thanksgiving...So glad you've joind us...
kadesma:)

hi mpm. welcome to dc !!!! you've come to the
right place to have all of your questions answered
and then some !

Hello Meltingpotmama Welcome to Your New Home, Here You won't just Like Us you will Come to Love Us here. We are so very glad to have You Here. So Welcome home, and Here are the Keys to Your New HOME at Discuss Cooking !:chef:
P.S. after much trying I couldn't get the keys to Fax but don't worry We leave the Door Wide Open :cool:

Last edited:
I really enjoy this site and learn something wonderful every time I come on. Hope you enjoy it as much. :)

Kathy, those ideas are great. I've never thought about making the dishes before hand to improve or select them. Great idea!

Back
Top Bottom