Hello, Everyone!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MsSusieQ

Assistant Cook
My name is Carolyn. I am new. I enjoy cooking and collecting recipes. The recipes which I collect I generally convert the onions and garlic into onion salt and garlic salt, but I have a hard time doing this when the recipe calls for it the be put in at the beginning of the recipe, like when it is making a roux. The reason I need to convert onions and garlic to either onion salt or powder and to garlic salt or powder is I am allergic to the real items. So I am hoping this site will help me in converting these items to the right measurements for the recipes that call for them at the beginning of a recipe because there are quite a few recipes that I like out there that I would like to make.:chef:

Hi, Carolyn! Welcome to DC!

I feel your pain regarding allergies. I have a few myself, so I know what it is like to really enjoy a meal only to have it turn its back on you and make you sick.

Relying on dried ingredients to replace fresh might work in some cases, but for others you might want to look at other ingredients instead. Have you tried leeks or shallots? They make pretty good subs for onions.

For garlic, you might want to try some garlic flavored oils as well as powder.

I am allergic to bulb onions. I use onion powder to sub. Onion powder is just powdered, dried onions but they lose something in the processing that lets me then use the powder. Once I found out that onion powder was dried onions I bought a bottle of dried onion flakes and I use the fresh to flake ratio on the bottle to do my measurements.

I use leeks and shallots as it turns out I am allergic to large doses of sulfer (its the stuff that makes you cry while slicing fresh onions) and leeks and shallots have lower levels of sulfer.

I'm not sure if any of this helps but I feel for ya!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom