Hello from Abingdon VA!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dragon1

Assistant Cook
Started canning at 77 years young. Helped my Mother and late wife for yrs. They only water bathed canned. I have canned over a hundred jars, mostly jams, jelly, and pickled food. These have been a big hit in my neighborhood.
I am now ready to venture into the world of pressure canning.
Would you recommend the best all around book on pressure canning? I am considering the book by author Angie Schneider. Thank You,. Jim

Welcome aboard!
I too am new to pressure canning (Literally did my first batch last week, soup and potatoes). I'm curious to see what some of the more experienced canners on this site recommend.

I haven't used any books in the past 20 years on canning because recipes and updated information on canning are available on the internet. NCHFP and University Extensions, Ball, Healthy Canning, and Bernardin, have approved safe recipes.
In terms of the most used book by most canners, it would be Ball's Canning Books, new or old. Newer ones have more updated information. https://www.amazon.com/Ball-Blue-Book-Guide-Preserving/dp/0972753745 This one is from 2016. There are other Ball Preserving books that are good too, most trusted.

I haven't used any books in the past 20 years on canning because recipes and updated information on canning are available on the internet. NCHFP and University Extensions, Ball, Healthy Canning, and Bernardin, have approved safe recipes.
In terms of the most used book by most canners, it would be Ball's Canning Books, new or old. Newer ones have more updated information. https://www.amazon.com/Ball-Blue-Book-Guide-Preserving/dp/0972753745 This one is from 2016. There are other Ball Preserving books that are good too, most trusted.
Hi and welcome to Discuss Cooking ☺

In addition, the instructions and recipes from the NCHFP (National Center for Home Food Preservation) are available as a printed book: "So Easy To Preserve"

Thanks All! Good info. Feel like I am back in school. Am looking forward to pressure canning!
Everyone have a Great Thanksgiving. Jim

The booklet I use the most, and review at the beginning of each canning season, is the instruction manual that came with my Presto pressure canner.

Attachments

• Presto_IMG_4908.jpg
    Presto_IMG_4908.jpg
    173 KB · Views: 2
Aha! saw your post on canning beans before seeing this Thread.

Welcome to the forum Dragon1.
from one dragon to another, what cave are you from that you've got the designation 1! ;)

Back
Top Bottom