Hello from Alabama!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

luvbing

Assistant Cook
hi everybody! i am new here and looking forward to connecting with y'all for some cool cooking/foodie exchanges! i am from California and recently moved to Alabama-readjusting my cooking from vegan LA girl to southern mother cooking hehe! very much so already a foodie and in love with my foodie boyfriend, we cook often and take photos regularly, i can't wait to share with you all!!

thanx!!!:chef:

Hi luvbing! I'm a newbie too, but wanted to say welcome, nice to meet ya, looking forward to your shares! My RV is from Alabama! Good State and hope to visit it, someday. We moved to the PNW from L.A., CA, back in 2011...and we love it. Hope you are enjoying your move to Alabama too!

Welcome and have fun. As far as cooking, as long as it isn't something we call the Orkin Man for.

T

Hi and welcome to Discuss Cooking [emoji2] What kinds of things do you like to cook?

Thanks!!
well I'm certainly a lover of garlic myself! just tried some amish garlic the other day, really nice smooth flavor and giant fat cloves!!! only 4 to a head on some of them!

I am a throw-it-together kinda cook, find what's in the fridge and cupboards to combine into some sort of delicious dish! I also love baking but I don't do much of it. When I do its usually cookies or something a little funky like meringues or weird jellos haha.

For savory, I love spicy and have a sour/earthy/bitter palate. I love things like pickles, beets, black coffee, wine, tobacco, dark chocolate, etc. I have some recipes that have become staples in my kitchen but I really enjoy trying to make each dish new every time.

I used to be vegan and experimented with being raw vegan for a bit, and growing up I was a carnivore hahaha so I have broad interests in my culinary mind. I'm really into lamb right now..? it's just so yummy!!

right now cooking wise my main focus/interest has been working on making prepper foods with my boyfriend. starting with some canning and jerky, having a lot of fun! :)

Welcome to DC. I like to give new members my pancake recipe, as It is well received. I cook just about anything you can imagine; and if I can't give you a recipe, there are some amazing cooks here in DC that make me look like a beginner.

Chief's Pancakes (famous)
The secretto thes is the ratio of ingredients, not over mixing the batter, temp control of the pan, and knowing when to flip them. Gere we go.

Ingredients:
Dry:
1 cup All Purpose flour
1/2 tsp. salt
2 tbs. table sugar
2 1/2 tsp. double acting baking powder

Whisk these together in a SS, or non-reactive bowl.

Wet Ingredients:
1 large egg, 3 tbs. cooking oil, or melted butter
3/4 cup whole milk

Place oil, and egg into a bowl and whisk until smooth. The egg yolk acts as an emulsifier that will help the oil mix smoothly with the milk. Add the milk and whisk until smooth. Combine the wet and dry mixtures, and fold into a batter, leaving small lumps. The lumps show you that you haven't overmixed, and will disappear while cooking.

Preheat griddle over medium-high heat until a drop of water skittles across the surface. Lightly oil the pan surface. Place 3 tbs. batter per pancake onto the griddle. Cook until bubbles start to pop on the surface. Flip and cook until the sides just start to lift from the pan. Serve hot and fresh with jam. jelly, or your favorite syrup, or fruit curd.

Just so ya know, pork fat is lower in cholesterol than is butter. So if you love the flavor of breakfast sausage, spoon some of the sausage grease over you pancakes. My Dad used to di this. He also put American cheese slices on top of both his pancakes, and French toast, surprisingly tasty.

Berries, chopped banana, nuts, even M&M candies can be added to this batter. You can add cocoa powder if you like, or vanilla, nutmeg, cinnamon, etc.

This becomes a great waffle batter by increasing the milk to one cup.

Again. welcome.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Back
Top Bottom