Hello from Mendocino County

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Back Rhodes

Assistant Cook
Howdy...

Hello from the mountains of Mendocino County (CA)...

This is the blank spot north of San Francisco on many maps...

Mendocino County goes from sea level at the coast to over 8,000 ft in the Yolla Bolly Wilderness...definately a 4 season environment in the boonies...

I'm a down home Taurus, have green eyes, and a black and white cat...

I'm semi retired, but still do some work as a radio DJ and talk show host on a non commercial radio station. The music radio show is called TUBBY TUNES Radio Show...inspired by the late KFAT-FM, Gilroy, CA, and also by Loony Tunes cartoons. The talk show is The HOMESTEAD Radio Show...a half hour talk show about country living in all it's various forms... me webby page is www.pacificsites.com/~tubbytunes where there is some history of SF Bay Area Radio...I also have done video and television work in various capacities... I've also been known to do railroad work, and also used to work in some of the best wine & champagne cellars...

I have a mix of grid power and solar power, Dishnet, and soon to be satellite internet (just dial up right now). The mountain roads in my area are not paved, but
I have a fantastic view. I have a mix of glades (wild grass areas) and woods...woods are mostly oak and Douglas Fir...

Wildlife abounds here: Perigrine & Kestral falcons, Red Tail Hawks, and occassional Golden Eagle & Bald Eagle, plus bear, deer, mtn lions, bobcats, skunks, rattlesnakes, and other critters...

I enjoy driving the back roads, taking pictures (still and video), and eating at small cares in small towns...

I don't have much use for big cities...for me a big city is anything over 25,000 pop...the nearest village to me is 1,133 population...the largest city in Mendocino County is 15,000 pop...

I used to be a bbq grilling purest, cooking outdoors using oak wood with a cowboy style tripod grill over live flames (not coals) on an outdoor firepit...but the firepit is unprotected so I could use it only during the dry season, not during the wet season...

Last June I bought my first gas grill, and have been using it several days a week ever since then...

I'm not a gourmet, just a down home California native...I think the term California Cuisine was invented by somebody from out of state. I lived in the Napa Valley for many years, and have no use for the fru fru "Calif Cuisine" type foods. When I eat Mexican food, I prefer eating where Campesino's eat...

Just genuine American food, what is now called "Comfort Food"...

I'm just a normal guy, combination of rustic and hightech, living in an exceptional area...

img_1124202_0_02a9a85207699bf09f9e2049d1a907db.jpg

Last edited:
Just a few more photo's...

BTW...ALL of these photo's are copyright by me, and can NOT be used without written permission...just so you'll know...thanks...

img_1124223_0_fb5d124d45e63bcd3c7985dc50e2fdf1.jpg

img_1124223_1_7f6f0442be2334de6ddf98abcb749bf0.jpg

img_1124223_2_6249591aae77b92ad221228a1c4cb5be.jpg

img_1124223_3_71f7b43f2fb072a90dad28d461f80af0.jpg

img_1124223_4_021eb01060feab0d47666347bd25aa46.jpg

img_1124223_5_12d4b93c332ce609809b4a8f7ea5c8e3.jpg

img_1124223_6_e56574491e5b21a68d2a79d423d532c6.jpg

img_1124223_7_913f2bb88ef7424daf41fb873b152331.jpg

Hey neighbor! Glad you joined. How far are you from Fort Ross?
I always visit it if we are in Russian River.

Where are you in the Bay Area...???

Did you ever eat at Doggie Diner...???

I'm 92 miles north by northeast of Ft Ross as a crow flies...in the northern end of Mendocino County, east of US Hwy 101...

Although I'm 17 miles inland, I have enough elevation to see the Pacific Ocean through a gap in the mountains to the west of me...

The topography of this area...if you can imagine a cross section view...west is on the left side, starting at sea level...and if you drew a line to the east (right) across the mountain peaks, you'd see the land is like a very big wedge...and then it drops off into the Sacramento Valley...

Here is an image I created with my GPS mapping program: I drew a line across Calif sorta near my latitude:

img_1124239_0_910838a352bb3a581b91ccc00aa4de18.jpg

So we get the rain at lower elevations, and snow at the upper elevations, before the Sierra do...

This chain of mountains starts south of Napa as the Mayacama's which extend into Lake and Mendocino Counties...north of Calif Hwy 20 is the Yolla Bolly's...and north of Cal Hwy 36 you get into the Salmon-Trinity Alps, and so on...

In the summer time, the rising hot air in the Central Valley pulls in cool coastal air in the afternoon...

Last edited:
Welcome to DC! Have fun and remember to play with your food!

Howdy...

How's things up in Montana...???

At least I have a "micro lion" to catch mice...and he understands that he's not allowed on countertops or desks to "help me"... (who knows what he does when I'm gone?)...

Howdy...

How's things up in Montana...???

At least I have a "micro lion" to catch mice...and he understands that he's not allowed on countertops or desks to "help me"... (who knows what he does when I'm gone?)...

Cold and wet today, had a thunderstorm earlier with hail...I was riding my bicycle at the time, just barely made it home before the hail started. Shrek was 15 feet behind me...we got the huge giggles trying to get the bikes locked up and get the heck out of the hail. Since the weather was not cooperating we headed out shopping.

I have 2 "micro lions" they would not know what to do with a real mouse...

My cat hunts just about anything: mice, woodrats, squirrels, bats, snakes, birds...

The last Doggie Diner I ate at was in San Lorenzo...they used to be all over the place...there is a web site bio / memorial for DD if you google it...

Top Dog in Berkeley was always much, much better...

lol, this is the first time i met someone for the first time and said "welcome, back"...

that was THE most informative intro post that i've seen in my almost 8 years here (or at any site).

if you ever mosey on east as far as you can go, i'll take you to our am and fm radio studios. if you're like this on air, you'll be a big hit. :)

lol, bolas. very nice, adding info to your usual welcome.

you really are as smooth as teflon, in a welcoming way.

ok, back to, umm, back.

this is gonna be tricky.

Welcome to Discuss Cooking. Firstly, This international Community are some of the loveliest people I have encountered. Furthermore, we all share a common thread, the love of fine gastronomy ... So do please, take your time and browse the categories, the recipes, the interaction, the profiles and photos. Then, kick off with a great post for all of us to read.

Great to see you have joined us.
Margi. Cintrano.

Ahh, another true northern Californian. I'm across the state from you in Modoc county. We have good friends that live in Potter Valley and, my father grew up in Sebastopol (Sonoma county, I know), but not far from you. Welcome!

Potter vally is a really nice little side valley...and beyond is Lake Pillsbury...

Sebastopol has the large flea market...I used to be an egg rancher south of Santa Rosa...

Are you near Alturas, or east of the Warners (Cederville, Eagleville)...???

Have you been up to Wagontire, OR up US HWY 395...??? Last I saw it was population 2...that was several years ago...

Back
Top Bottom