Hello from Montana!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PrincessFiona60

Ogress Supreme
Moderator Emeritus
Just stumbled on this forum and am very pleased to find fellow foodies. I love to cook and love to eat. My main interests are in eating as natural a diet as possible and expanding my recipe collection with "good for you" foods.

Since starting my all natural kick and watching portion sizes, I've managed to lose 30 pounds since Januray of this year. I have 25 pounds to go.

I am also skilled in Diabetic cooking and menus. I am a Registered Nurse with patients and family who are diabetics and I welcome questions if there is any way I can be of help.

Welcome on board, Montana. Just amazing to know you have lost so much weight. I have a friend who sufferes from Diabetes Type 1. Is there a special diet he has to adhere to? It's so severe that he has to run for coke very often which is a quick fix for his sugar level. Occasionally he gets hospitalised. Really hope I can help.

Hey Montana, Welcome to DC. I started eating healthier and watching my portions on March 4th. 2009 and have dropped 28 lbs. so far. I want to lose 137 total, and am in it for the long haul. This was a life changing decision I chose to make and I'm feeling so much better already.

Hi Princess - We may not be much help in the area of recipes that are "good for you", be we are good for recipes that you would find good :)

Welcome, and enjoy the community.

Bob

Shalinee...your friend is treating his diabetes wrong if he is going for a coke for a quick fix. He needs something that will last him longer, like a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. The protein and complex carbs in whole grain bread will level his blood sugars out rather than just spiking them up like the coke does. It's fine to get your blood sugar up quickly, but once that is done a diabetic needs to eat a solid snack or their blood sugar will crash again. Most likely he needs to consult a dietitian to establish better eating patterns.

Weight loss

Congratulations on your weight loss. It's such a pleasure to find the changes. Unfortunately, I'm at that point where I have to buy new clothes...or maybe not so unfortunate;)

Hey Montana, Welcome to DC. I started eating healthier and watching my portions on March 4th. 2009 and have dropped 28 lbs. so far. I want to lose 137 total, and am in it for the long haul. This was a life changing decision I chose to make and I'm feeling so much better already.

Good for you Recipes

Thanks for the welcome. Now all recipes are good for you, if you use the right ingredients and proper portion sizes. Heck, I just finished making a chili cheesecake using all fresh and organic ingredients and it's fantastic. Of course with the proper portion sizes it'll take me two weeks to eat all of it...thank goodness and Frigidaire I have the freezer space.

Hi Princess - We may not be much help in the area of recipes that are "good for you", be we are good for recipes that you would find good :)

Welcome, and enjoy the community.

Bob

welcome53.gif

I was born in the Air Force and my parents happened to be in California at the time. I grew up mainly in Wyoming after the second grade. Transferred to Montana while following my husband's job and we are still here after 17 years.

Missoula is lovely.

I was born in Glendive, lived in Livingston when I was very young.

PrincessFiona60, thanks very much for your advice. Learning lesson for me too. I'll let my friend know about it.

"chili cheesecake"

You must share that recipe as I've never heard of such a critter. Notice I'm stretching your vocabulary :)

Bob

Chili Cheesecake

Sorry, took me a bit to get back to the computer. Here it is, it came from a challenge after I had said I could make anything into cheesecake. I have played with this recipe extensively and this is THE BEST to date.

Chili Cheesecake with Baked Polenta Crust
Serves 8
Baked Polenta
1 quart water
1 Tbs sea or kosher salt
1 c. cornmeal
3 Tbs unsalted butter
1 Tbs chili or chipotle powder
Bring salted water to a boil, whisk in cornmeal slowly, breaking up lumps. Cook till thickened, lower heat and simmer stirring occasionally for 40 minutes. Remove from heat, stir in butter and chili powder.
Pour into bottom of spring form pan and level. Bake at 350 ° for 20 minutes.
Cheesecake Filling
3-8 oz pkg cream cheese, at room temperature
½ tsp sea or kosher salt
2 Tbs flour
3 eggs, beaten
¼ c sour cream
Zest and juice of 2 limes
2 c. shredded sharp cheddar (or favorite Mexican cheese)
4 Anaheim Peppers, roasted, peeled, seeded and diced
(may add 2 Tbs diced jalapeño or 1-4 diced chipotles in adobo sauce)

Beat cream cheese until fluffy add in salt, flour, eggs, sour cream, zest and lime juice. Stir in cheese and peppers until well mixed. Pour onto hot polenta crust and bake at 450° for 10 minutes, reduce heat to 300° and continue baking for 55 minutes or until center looks set. Cool on wire rack. Chill.
“Frost” with sour cream topped with shredded lettuce, diced tomatoes, sliced green onions and sliced black olives. Serve with tortilla chips, salsa and beef fajitas if desired.

"chili cheesecake"

You must share that recipe as I've never heard of such a critter. Notice I'm stretching your vocabulary :)

Bob

I made a savory cheesecake for one of my tests in cooking school. I used cracked cumin seeds in the cornmeal crust. I also left the cheesecake (no sugar) batter kinda plain and swirled in the chipotle (which I strained). It was served with a cooked mango/jalapeno compote (sweet and HOT). Served with blue corn tortilla chips.
I put the solids from the chipotle in a jar with oil. Refrigerated. After the oil took on some of the flavor, I used it to drizzle over refried beans... OMG. the bomb.
Your recipe looks yummy! I'll have to try it!

I copy/pasted for future use. but I'll have you know you were trying my filling system... I settled on the breads category as the least offended by your recipe :)

Bob

I put it in the Eggs and Cheese category in my system. I've styled my cookbook and recipe cards after the "Better Homes and Garden" cookbook.

I hope you enjoy the recipe.

I copy/pasted for future use. but I'll have you know you were trying my filling system... I settled on the breads category as the least offended by your recipe :)

Bob

WyoGal,

I love the idea of the cracked cumin, sounds great. I think I'll add it. Later, about three years when I finally got Internet service, I found out by searching that others had made chili cheesecake, I was not original, but I sure had fun coming up with it.

I love cheesecake! Still trying to come up with other ideas that sound good as savory, how about a lemon cheesecake, minus the sugar and have roasted garlic stirred in with roasted red peppers and asparagus on top?

I made a savory cheesecake for one of my tests in cooking school. I used cracked cumin seeds in the cornmeal crust. I also left the cheesecake (no sugar) batter kinda plain and swirled in the chipotle (which I strained). It was served with a cooked mango/jalapeno compote (sweet and HOT). Served with blue corn tortilla chips.
I put the solids from the chipotle in a jar with oil. Refrigerated. After the oil took on some of the flavor, I used it to drizzle over refried beans... OMG. the bomb.
Your recipe looks yummy! I'll have to try it!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom