Hello! I am Mr Mannn

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mr Mannn

Assistant Cook
I am in my 60's. I have lost 70 pounds and cured my type 2 diabetes.

I am planning on losing more but I also plan to start cooking for myself...for the first time.

I own a crock pot and I have made pot roast and ribs. It is disgustingly easy to cook with this.

Still, I need a lot of basics to catch up with everyone else. and that is why I am here. Please be patient with me if I ask a beginner question.

I have discovered a love of mixing and matching things to make a interesting meal. Like a can of chili (no beans) plus a single serving of rice plus 4 ounces of cheese = a surprisingly hearty meal. It feeds one me, or two normal people.

Anyhow, I am sitting in Iowa, waiting for winter (I hate winters), I am doing fine. How are you?

Welcome to the forum, and congratulations on your success with the weight loss. I'm sure if you were able to do that, learning to cook for yourself will be a snap. Just remember - leftovers are great, and sometimes better than they were at first!

Welcome to Discuss Cooking Mr Mann. Would you like for us to give you suggestions of easy things to cook? Or, are you more interested in exploring the site and seeing what interests you?

Welcome to Discuss Cooking Mr Mann. Would you like for us to give you suggestions of easy things to cook? Or, are you more interested in exploring the site and seeing what interests you?
I am much more interested in exploring. Thanks!

Welcome to the forum, and congratulations on your success with the weight loss.

Thanks for that. Diabetes is a heck of an incentive. It is not a static disease, getting progressively worse. It has forced me to grow up and realize I'm not a kid anymore...I can't do the things as I have always done.

Hello Mr Mann and welcome to DC. Best wishes for a fun and tasty journey, as you gain knowledge and cooking expertise! Congrats on your weight loss success too!

The crockpot is a great invention! Lots of things one can do with it.

I'm sorry to hear that winters aren't your thing. I, for one, am relieved to be past this hot, hot summer! It was a difficult summer here in the PNW! I'm enjoying the return of our rain and cooler temps.

I'm doing fine, thanks for asking! Glad to hear you are too!

years back there were a number of very instructional TV cooking shows.
today they've turned into "contests" - very little 'learning' available....

but - search for cooking videos by the old standard types -
Julia Child (PBS has corralled most of hers behind a pay wall)
Jacques Pepin - he has many short videos focused on a technique / dish

Emeril Lagasse - the old ones, not the current laugh track stuff

Martha Steward - I don't think she can boil water, but her staff makes her look good at cooking.

years back there were a number of very instructional TV cooking shows.
today they've turned into "contests" - very little 'learning' available....

but - search for cooking videos by the old standard types -
Julia Child (PBS has corralled most of hers behind a pay wall)
Jacques Pepin - he has many short videos focused on a technique / dish

Emeril Lagasse - the old ones, not the current laugh track stuff

Martha Steward - I don't think she can boil water, but her staff makes her look good at cooking.
I have been learning through you tube. a lot of good sites there.

I have to stay away from the sites where bikini girls teach because I can never figure out what they are cooking.

Back
Top Bottom