Hello, I'm the son of a beginner cook.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Welcome to DC. There are some great books (free even) for Amazon Kindle, which can be read with a Kindle app. Also, there are some awesome videos on YouTube and other blogs. Personally, I don't bake because it requires actual measuring, and I am a fake-it-til-you-make-it kinda girl. There are some outstanding bakers on here so I hope one can make suggestions.

Again, welcome!

Welcome to DC!

Don't have a specific answer for you, hoping someone here does. I would suggest watching some youtube videos. If like me, you actually need to "see" something being done, then the instructions are far easier to follow.

Recipes have a tendency to be either too literal or not enough. This can be very frustrating for a beginner. Watching a video helps to understand the words like 'bloom' 'proofing' (or proving) 'kneading' 'resting' etc.
But again, you should really watch a few of them to see how different people use the same words in different ways.

Plus there are the various yeasts, which in themselves can be an entire science lesson. But then you have people like me who use the same yeast no matter what the recipe calls for and have never seen a noticeable difference in the outcome.

Good luck to your Dad and lucky you having all that homemade bread!

Someone has already mentioned the King Arthur Flour folks. One of the great things about this site is that you can call their toll-free number and ask to speak to a "resident baker." You will be able to speak to someone who will be helpful and answer any questions you might have.

Back
Top Bottom