Help, Baby onion prep

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Claire

Master Chef
I'm planning on making baby peas and pearl onions in a cream sauce for our Thanksgiving vegetable -- and know, KNOW I saw a Jacques/Julia episode where he prepared the baby onions. I own the cookbook, and it has nothing about the early preparation of the onions. I know that I've in the past tried peeling first and the onions separated (the interior layers popped out of the onions instead of it remaining whole when boiled). it seems to me Jacques scored one end (don't remember if it was the top or bottom) with an "X" (much as you would when peeling a tomato), blanched it skin and all, cooled in ice water, peeled, then later added the onions to the mixture to finish cooking. Has anyone any experience (or remember the episode) in cooking little pearl onions, and what method of blanching/peeling/boiling works best to keep them whole and pretty?

I blanch for only maybe 30 seconds, then cut off the root end with a paring knife and squeeze -- the onion pops out of the skin whole.

I almost always use fresh onions, but frozen pearl onions usually work very well, too.

Thanks so much! will do it. I just knew that peeling first, then boiling was a pain and didn't really work! I've bought frozen in the past, but simply couldn't find them the past few years, so bought the fresh (and obviously it's been so long since I cooked them I forgot how!!).

jennyema said:
I blanch for only maybe 30 seconds, then cut off the root end with a paring knife and squeeze -- the onion pops out of the skin whole.

I almost always use fresh onions, but frozen pearl onions usually work very well, too.

Bingo!

Audeo said:
jennyema said:

Bingo!

Bingo? How come I wasn't informed that there was a game going on here?

Psiguyy said:
Bingo? How come I wasn't informed that there was a game going on here?

Oh, I thought you knew! It's called, "Let's See if Audeo Can Give Out Accurate Information Today!" 8)

Hmmm...after my bittersweet chocolate input ad nauseum, I think Ann's ahead of me. But I thank you, pal!! ;)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom