Help me, help us :)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Manvsclock

Assistant Cook
Hey everyone,
As a vegetarian (and slowly transforming vegan) who travels pretty much full time – I know only too well the problems of avoiding animal products in my food. I usually use the (awesome) 'happy cow' app, but sometimes it's just not enough for me.
Sooo...I'm developing an app for vegetarian/vegan travellers to make their lives (and mine) on the road easier, more fun and stress-free.
A big feature of the app will be direct translations in 35 languages for lacto-ovo veggies and vegans requests (for now). There was an app that did this called 'Veggie Passport' a few years ago, but it stopped updating and got deleted.
Which questions would you like to be able to say in any language to avoid animal products, when you travel? So far I have:
“I do not eat any meat, fish or dairy products.Please can you ask the chef to cook me a meal without them?”
“I don't eat any meat. Can I order this without meat?”
“Can you recommend me a meal on the menu that has no meat, or dairy in the recipe?”
The more specific the better. Thanks in advance
Anthony

I would include "chicken" or "poultry" since there are some who do not consider this meat, and believe you're only referring to beef, pork, veal, lamb, etc. Another way some vegetarians and vegans explain it is to say that they don't eat anything with a face! No extra clarification needed.

welcome on board & greetings from manchester manv!as a confirmed carnivore i'm probably not much help but i'm sure there are plenty of members on here who are.good luck with the project!!

You might find it simpler to locate accomodations that have small kitchens to be able to make your own meals. Try a city search for places that cater to vegis/vegans at your destination.

I know of these apps. You perhaps should simply say "no animal or fish flesh or by-products." That shall eliminate the dairy and the meats, along with the caviar.

Sometimes of these apps, you must be specific but short of it. Then you shall include the questions of these of your 35 languages. Which translators are you incorporating into this app? Some translators are very cumbersome of apps. Remember, the app must use very, very little space for this to be effective.

Good luck! You have a very good idea of this.

With love,
~Cat

I would include "chicken" or "poultry" since there are some who do not consider this meat, and believe you're only referring to beef, pork, veal, lamb, etc. Another way some vegetarians and vegans explain it is to say that they don't eat anything with a face! No extra clarification needed.

VERY good point! I had this problem in Japan this year. haha excellent! I might be daring and add that. Or maybe "I do not eat animals" would be a good shout.

Cheers!

welcome on board & greetings from manchester manv!as a confirmed carnivore i'm probably not much help but i'm sure there are plenty of members on here who are.good luck with the project!!

No worries, Harry. Thanks I'm excited and overwhelmed about it :)

Great George best Quote - one of my favourite

You might find it simpler to locate accomodations that have small kitchens to be able to make your own meals. Try a city search for places that cater to vegis/vegans at your destination.

That's a good idea, Craig but I'm not sure how I'd go about that as I'm covering maaaany destinations :)

Back
Top Bottom