Help with Gluten-Free Flour

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sunnypotato

Assistant Cook
Hello, I've just started cooking, but I've also just discovered that I need to be on a gluten-free diet. I read an article stating that you can't use gluten-free flour on its own to bake. I'd like to make Lemon Baked Cod, but the recipe calls for flour.

Here is the recipe:
1 lb cod fish fillet 1/4 cup butter or 1/4 cup margarine, melted
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon white pepper
paprika

It says I should coat the fish with a flour/white pepper/salt mixture.

This is what the About.com article on working with Gluten-Free Flour reads: If you just need to coat something in flour before you saute it, you can get away with a single-grain gluten-free flour. But for baking, gluten-free flours work better when used in combination.

Should I combine it with something if I'm just coating it, even though I'm baking with it? If so, what should I combine it with?

What I like to use for coating items like fish or chicken is sweet rice flour. It is "glutenous" without containing wheat gluten so things stick to it nicely. You can also use a basic premixed gluten free flour which usually contains white rice flour, tapioca starch and potato starch (sorry, I don't know the ratios off the top of my head any more because while I make other mixes, this one I buy at my organic store).

What you read is correct - you can't adapt a baking recipe for gf flour, but for dredging, etc. you can use either of these choices.

What about using corn meal or corn flour? Quinoa flour? I am not a "gluten free" person but I've been trying to eliminate white flour from my diet without losing texture or flavor.

I am not sure if it applies to this recipe, but you might be pleased to know that if you ever need a thickener in substitute of flower or corn starch, "arrowroot" is gluten free, and more effective than either- you need far, far less and get more out of it. Going to an internet shop (just search "spices" or "buy spices" and you can find them, I don't want to recommend a specific one as I am NOT advertising here, but I know of a good one with large packages for low price, very reliable, just send me a message if you need it)... buying it online is the best way, in some bulk, over the small spice jars you get at a grocery store, and it makes it very practical. Not sure if it would work for coating, though. But it's handy to know :)
-Coro

My best friend has to be on a gluten free diet due to Celiacs, as well, and I've learned a lot from her and from having to cook for her when she and her husband come to dinner.

She went out and bought a small electric grinder and grinds all her own flour. As LPBeier mentioned, her favorite to cook with is sweet (or sushi) rice. She says it sticks together better and maintains that good flavor.

Try besan [roasted chickpea flour]. On the packet I have, it has a recipe for fish dipped in besan and pan fried.

Back
Top Bottom