Help with Lacto-Fermenting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GB

Chief Eating Officer
Hi Everyone. I am not sure who is still on this site. For those who remember me, hello again. I used to be an admin on this site, but have not been here in many years.

I am hoping someone can help me. My daughter and I just tried lacto-fermenting in a vacuum bag. Here is the link we got the info from.

https://skillet.lifehacker.com/lacto-ferment-fruits-and-vegetables-in-vacuum-bags-1845508370

We did one bag with cabbage and the other with blueberries. It has been 5 days and we do not see any bubbling in either bag. There is liquid in both, but the liquid is still (no bubbles at all). Both bags have produced some gas as they are both still sealed but no longer tight to the food. Does the lack of bubbles mean it is not fermenting?

Hi GB! Good to see you again. It looks like this pandemic has a number of long-missed members returning "home".

Steve Kroll has a number of posts about making sauerkraut. Those might be helpful.

Now if Steve would only come back, you two could work your issues out in real time.

Take care.

Here's an internet copy & paste.

Some vegetables foam more than others. It is not uncommon to see some foaming on vegetables that have higher sugar contents, such as beets or carrots. The foaming is completely harmless and generally disappears after a few days. You may also notice some bubbling in the jar as gases are formed by the fermentation process. Again, this is normal. On the other hand, some vegetables get off to a slow start and don’t bubble as much. Many variables affect fermentation. As long as the ferment smells and tastes pleasant, the culture is doing well.

I guess you were here before I started, GB. Welcome back!

Do you have an instant pot, or a sous vide circulator? These are two things that can help you to keep the temp slightly higher, and even, to help assist the fermentation. I just recently used the Instant Pot to ferment the batter to make dosa - I set it on yogurt mode, and adjusted it to low, which they recommend for making jiu niang - fermented glutinous rice. The temp was just over 90°. I set a SS bowl in the dry container, and in 24 hrs it was quite bubbly.

You may be able to use the sous vide circulator, with a vacuum sealed bag, though the minimum temp on some might not go low enough to help with fermentation.

Hey pepperhead. Your name looked familiar when I jumped on today. I think I might remember seeing some of your posts before my hiatus.

I had not considered temperature. That is a good point. Thanks. I don't have an instant pot or sous vide, but I do have the fermentation sitting on top of my dehydrator so I bet sticking it in that on a low setting might achieve the same result.

GB I never thought about the dehydrator for the fermentation, but I'm sure that it would work. Mine goes down to 90°, so I'll have to remember this.

Here are some lids I have, for making lacto-fermented vegetables, in wide mouthed mason jars. It has a vacuum pump, to evacuate the oxygen from the jars, which helps prevent contamination. Works great for kimchi.
https://www.amazon.com/Easy-Ferment...ng&qid=1610667547&sprefix=lids+for+fer&sr=8-5

Hi GB, nice to see you here again. I have no advice about lacto-fermenting. The only things I have successfully lacto-fermented are yogourt and quark.

Back
Top Bottom