Help!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NYBrit

Senior Cook
Hi everyone. DW and I are baking some Christmas cookies that my wife asked advice for a few days ago. We bought a few Christmas cookie cutters to help create Christmas themed cookies. Problem is when you put the dough in to the cookie cutters and try to pull the cutter up it just leaves a blobby mess. Some of the cutters are metal and can probably be left in there to help the cookies keep their shape. But the bigger cutters are made of plastic and obviously can't be left in as they'd melt! Any tips on how to pull the cutters away and keep a decent shape?

Maybe "flour" the cutters. Dip them, roll them etc in some flour prior to each cut. Or maybe a quick spray of a non stick spray might help.

The cutters should be "floured" before cutting into the cookie dough. I don't use flour because it can toughen the cookies. Instead, I "flour" my pastry cloth or cutting board with powdered sugar and dip my cutters into powdered sugar before cutting out my cookies.

Ok we finished the first batch. Chris said they taste "almost as good as grandma used to make" so for a first attempt that's a pretty good result! :) I can vouch that they taste GREAT! We're preparing a second batch so we will try your tip about flouring the cutters. Thanks for the tips!!

It didn't really work. Should the dough be refridgerated before cutting into shape? Maybe that's where we went wrong. Any advice on that would be great as we'll be baking more for Christmas.

Back
Top Bottom