herb loves and hates

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
kadesma said:
I love marjoram, rosemary, thyme. I dislike tarragon and fennel. Funny I like licorice, but fennel yutz! I like oregano and basil and herbs de napa. I use marjoram in many egg dishes or when i stuff onions or zucchini, rosemay always with chicken and pork...How about you?
kadesma :)

I agree with you and love the same herbs you mention. I do not like anything that even hints of licorice. I make a mix of freshly chopped Italian parsley, varigated sage, rosemary, lemon thyme (sound like a song????), and add finely minced fresh garlic and fresh ginger and make into a paste, add freshly grated pepper, mix with fresh fine breadcumbs and butter and spread on the pork chop and toss into toaster oven. I Also do a similar thing with bonless and skinless chicken breasts but I pound the breast flat 1/4 inch and roll this mixture inside and seal seams and put same on outside and chill until butter is hardened again, then bake in oven. I usually use this same mixture depending upon what is still in my herb garden. I occasionally use Oregano, Chives, basil. I also do not like cumin, correander, and cilantro.

norgeskog said:
kadesma said:
I love marjoram, rosemary, thyme. I dislike tarragon and fennel. Funny I like licorice, but fennel yutz! I like oregano and basil and herbs de napa. I use marjoram in many egg dishes or when i stuff onions or zucchini, rosemay always with chicken and pork...How about you?

I agree with you and love the same herbs you mention. I do not like anything that even hints of licorice. I make a mix of freshly chopped Italian parsley, varigated sage, rosemary, lemon thyme (sound like a song????), and add finely minced fresh garlic and fresh ginger and make into a paste, add freshly grated pepper, mix with fresh fine breadcumbs and butter and spread on the pork chop and toss into toaster oven. I Also do a similar thing with bonless and skinless chicken breasts but I pound the breast flat 1/4 inch and roll this mixture inside and seal seams and put same on outside and chill until butter is hardened again, then bake in oven. I usually use this same mixture depending upon what is still in my herb garden. I occasionally use Oregano, Chives, basil. I also do not like cumin, correander, and cilantro.
norgeskog,
your blend sounds so good. I have some chicken breasts and some porkchops..Have made a copy of you note and will give your idea a try..Thank you, fresh ideas are great.:)
kadesma

luvs_food said:
sage is my absolute favorite flavor and scent out there.
i also like oregano. i douse pepper into most things.

i don't like cinnamon.i don't like tyme due only to the fact that if it's not ground, it has those little 'twigs' in it.

Try lemon thyme, it is not so twiggy, easy to remove the little petals from the stem.

I like earthy spices, such as cinnamon, thyme and sage (in extreme moderation).

I can't think of any spices that I truly hate, but I dislike sage in large quantities (some people go a little overboard in their dressing or preparation of venison, for instance), and I really don't care for large amounts of oregano in my italian food...

kadesma said:
norgeskog said:
kadesma said:

norgeskog,
your blend sounds so good. I have some chicken breasts and some porkchops..Have made a copy of you note and will give your idea a try..Thank you, fresh ideas are great.:)
kadesma

Kadesma that is so flattering, thank you.

Weeks said:
I like earthy spices, such as cinnamon, thyme and sage (in extreme moderation).

I can't think of any spices that I truly hate, but I dislike sage in large quantities (some people go a little overboard in their dressing or preparation of venison, for instance), and I really don't care for large amounts of oregano in my italian food...
Weeks,
I like sage as well, and like you I don't like the herbs to over power the dish. Moderate amounts :)
kadesma

Ah, not trying to be contrarian but uhmmm... I love Cilantro! :oops:

Also lemongrass, pandanus, kaffir lime leaves, ginger. Guess my taste buds get excited by the more exotic stuff now.

There really isn't much that I don't like. Each one has it's own place and use. We have a small herb garden at work, with lemon thyme, basil, sage, chives, LAVENDER (wonderful aroma), etc.

I have about 20 or so herbs/spices in my cabinet.

Personally, I am addicted to garlic, ginger (fresh), thyme, tarragon, sage, the scent of lavender (I need to find some recipes that use it), cumin, cinnamon, and lots of others.

Someone mentioned cumin and/or curry being in Chili powder. Chili powder is a blend of dried and ground Ancho chiles, and a couple other very mild chiles. If you taste basic chili powder, you'll get flavor, but not much heat. Cumin goes good with chili powder, being a very "earthy" flavor. I use a combination of chili powder and cumin, along with a few others, in my basic Mexican seasoning blend.

Curry is another blend of seasonings, of which, I believe cumin is one of the ingredients. However, if you look at some Thai recipes for curry, you'll notice that the results do not taste anything like commercial curry powder. This is because one of the strong flavors behind commercial curry powder is ground fenugreek seeds. My old chef bought some one, and when I asked him what it was, and he said, "Fenugreek", I immediately stuck my nose in the bag and sniffed. To me, it smelled EXACTLY like commercial curry powder.

If you want to experiment with curries, try toasting your own spices and herbs, then grinding, and making the curry. It shouldn't taste ANYTHING like commercial curry.

On an aside, does anyone else know the difference between "herbs" and "spices"?

Mornin', Mudbug. Accurate as always.

I cannot think of a single herb I do not enjoy, but firmly believe that herbs have their place, a defined role in terms of what goes well with which foods...and definately in moderation.

With the strong exception of Anise (shudder, yuk!!), I love spices...especially the scent of those in baking cookies or banana bread or within a simmering pot of water that fills the house with warmth....

I like nutmeg but not a lot of it. There is one I can't think of but it is a little seed thingy that is used in some sausage(like the kind on pizzas). I bite into those things & ugh, I just shudder! But I like everything else.

Back
Top Bottom