Here's why bread is bad for you.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

carnivore

Senior Cook
As i mentioned in an earlier post, I've been really enjoying making bread from scratch lately, but I found a reason why it's bad for your health:
I made 2 loaves about a week ago and the half-loaf i had left was getting hard and stale. So being the frugal person i am, I broke up the bread, chucked the pieces into a food processor, and stuck the bread crumbs into a ziploc bag in my cabinet. Now I will be finding things to fry so that I can use up my bread crumbs!
obviously they have bread in the wrong category in the food pyramid :P

Yep, and when you start making that sourdough bread from a starter and it makes 3 loaves every 3 days you think you have to eat a loaf a day......... But you have found a very good use for the left-overs - also, try these for croutons,

Mix some olive oil (about 1/2 cup), and about 1 tsp. each dried basil, oregano, parsley, tarragon, and whatever sweet herbs you like, garlic powder, about 1 tsp. or more of kosher salt and some pepper.

Cut your bread into pretty big croutons, toss with the oil mixture, put in 375° oven (tossing several times to turn over) until dried out and a golden color.

Use on salads or just eat!

Carnivore, I find the local birds love those bread crumbs, too.

Problem with homemade bread is that it dries out too quickly. With Jjust BW and I here, I have taken to prepare one 2 cup loaf at a time. Lasts us three or four days - "us" tending to include the birds on the fourth day.

As 'Elf mentioned, sourdough cqan enslave you - except that there's an easy way out: good ol' refrigeration halts the fermentation until you're ready to use it again. But I just plan for sourdough a few days ahead of time and then use all the starter at one time.

I find bread making consumes so little time - popular opinion to the contrary - that I don't mind making it a couple of times a week. Roughly 20 minutes of actual involvement - the rest of the time is rising and baking time. BW whips up pies during TV commercials in the evening - I've begun doing the same with bread making. (That ten-minutes of kneading does not have to be done all at once, I find.)

Hate to tell ya this...stale bread makes stale bread crumbs...

But hey, if you don't mind, neither do I :)

Oh absolutely! I use hard bread to throw at people when I want them out of my kitchen, and makes a great surrogate basketball when I'm making hoop shots with the trash can...

Kidding...I throw old fruit at em'..got too much respect for bread!

Happy Baking :)

LOL - nothing like a rotten orange to send someone scurrying out of the kitchen!! Actually, it's a good reason to not go IN the kitchen!! :D

I was thinking more along the lines of say...Panzanella ;)

Wooohoo! Throwing food items! Give me mushy tomatoes and that onion in the bottom of the box that looks like it was grown in a waste dump!

Back
Top Bottom