Hey Good Lookin, Whatca Got Cookin' on Tuesday, 8/9/22

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chief Longwind Of The North

Certified/Certifiable
I received my container of Marion Kay Chicken Seasoning in the mail today. It's supposed to be the Colonel's original seasoning that he gave to the company after KFC changed the recipe for his original fried chicken. I purchased a whole chicken, and cut it up into breasts, thighs, drumsticks, wings, an a back.

I took the neck, and giblets and boiled them in plain water for an hour, the removed all of the meat from the neck, and chopped the giblets, and neck skin. I blended that into the broth until smooth. I'll be using that to make gravy, to go with rice. A touch of the chicken seasoning added to the gravy should give it the same flavor as the original KFC gravy, as he used bits collected from the bottom of his pressure fryer to make the gravy. I'll make a roux, season it, ant use my very chicken forward broth. I'm expecting good things tonight.

The chicken has been soaking in milk, combined with a bit of vinegar for about 3 hours now. It should be very tender, and juicy.

I'll post pictures, and let everyone know how it turns out. Just wish I had some cabbage. I'd make some KFC style Cole slaw. I will be making some doctored Bush's beans, this time with a hint of chili powder (copied from a long gone chicken place from when I was a young boy. I loved those baked beans).. All I can say is that I'm expecting - :yum:.

One time, after freshly eating some of the Colonel's chicken, before the recipe was changed, I made the attempt to duplicate the flavor. I nailed it, but didn't write it down:ohmy:. I knew approximately what I had used for seasonings, and created my own chicken breading mixture. It is tasty, and the one person I gave the recipe to, told me it was the tastiest fried chicken he'd ever made. Of course my head swelled a bit. But I could never again duplicate the Colonel' original recipe:(. So it is with great anticipation that I'll be making fried chicken tonight.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Last edited:
Roast Beef & Cheddar Roll-ups with Horseradish Sauce,
Air Fries, Twice-Cooked Brussels Sprouts (Steamed & Fried)

Roast Beef Roll-Ups 8-9-22.jpg

I'm making Swedish Meatballs -- yes, I know they are not really Swedish! -- probably mashed potatoes and a selection of squash as a side. Either steamed or roasted. DH was craving squash from the local farm stand, so we got a bunch. That's the plan!

Lasagna with WW noodles, tomato mushroom sauce, sauteed eggplant cubes, and a layer of tofu/spinach/lemon juice/oregano/basil/fennel seed/nutritional yeast. It was delicious and I'd make that again and again. Mr bliss has been speechless since he ate a huge helping.....he might be napping, lol.

Produce basket delivery today, so I was ready with smoked salmon and bagels for supper. There was also cream cheese, capers, sliced onions, leftover salad, and dill pickles. I love that easy supper. It's so good. I didn't bother with pix tonight. It looks pretty much the same as the previous times I have posted it. Yup, we put the onion slices and capers under the salmon so stuff is glued in place by the cream cheese and covered by the salmon. I don't like when that stuff has to balance and almost always tries to escape.

Last edited:
I'm making Swedish Meatballs -- yes, I know they are not really Swedish! -- probably mashed potatoes and a selection of squash as a side. Either steamed or roasted. DH was craving squash from the local farm stand, so we got a bunch. That's the plan!

I'm jealous. SO doesn't like Swedish meatballs so I make them when she's off visiting her family.

Pulled together a sauce with Italian sausage and crimini mushrooms. We had that over pasta. Also had a tasty and nutritious fruit salad. Well, it was just one fruit. it was grapes. OK, grape juice. Fermented grape juice. OK, OK I had wine.

Attachments

• IMG_0260.jpg
    IMG_0260.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 17
We heated up the leftover burgers, mushroom for me and onion for Himself. I cobbled together a relish plate, which we've nibbled on all evening. Watermelon later.

IMG_20220809_204441395_HDR.jpgIMG_20220809_212801034_HDR.jpg

Andy, I'd share that fruit salad with ya anytime!

DH & I had some errands to run in the big city up the road a bit, so we stopped into this great 100+ year old bar & grill for linner (late lunch/early dinner)

steak salad.jpg

We both ordered the same thing, Steak Salad, YUM!
I should have taken pictures of the back bar, it's well over 100 years old and simply gorgeous!

Twas very yummy...
IMG_6652 (2).jpg

Well, the gravy was good; the beans were spot on, but the chicken was a bit of a disappointment. It was juicy, and tender, but under seasoned for my taste. I followed the directions on the container 2 tbs. seasoning per cup of flour. I went online and found that most people were using 2 tbs. per half cup of flour. Since the seasoning mix in the container smells just like KFC as I remember it, I'll increase the seasoning per cup of flour next time. Chalk it up to learning curve. Oh, and it was crispy, but not a hard crunch.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

*** Also had a tasty and nutritious fruit salad. Well, it was just one fruit. it was grapes. OK, grape juice. Fermented grape juice. OK, OK I had wine.

Gads, I have to remember that one.

Ginny, could you post your recipe for Swedish Meatballs, specifically the gravy? please?
Whenever I would go home to visit Mom, my brother would drive over a couple of towns to pick-up some Swedish Meatballs made by this lady out of her home kitchen. They were delish! I've never been able to copy them. Now I'm 99.9% sure she used Campbells Cream of Mushroom Soup but I want to make the sauce from scratch, but just can't get it right. :glare:

I had Pork and Chicken Perogies c onion, red peppers, meant to add some zucchini to the pan but forgot. Abit of potato salad.

Gads, I have to remember that one.
Ginny, could you post your recipe for Swedish Meatballs, specifically the gravy? please?
Whenever I would go home to visit Mom, my brother would drive over a couple of towns to pick-up some Swedish Meatballs made by this lady out of her home kitchen. They were delish! I've never been able to copy them. Now I'm 99.9% sure she used Campbells Cream of Mushroom Soup but I want to make the sauce from scratch, but just can't get it right. :glare:.

I use a copycat recipe from Food Network, NOTE: they call for waaaaay too much breadcrumbs...cut it back by 1/4 or 1/2, I say. Here's a link: https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/food-network-kitchen/almost-famous-swedish-meatballs-recipe-1973694

Thanks Ginny. Guess I wasn't very clear. I got the meatballs down pretty good. It is the Cream of Mushroom Soup I've been trying to emulate.

Ina Garten's Cream of Wild Mushroom soup is amazing but waaay too much work to put on meatballs.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom