Hi, all! ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BammBamm

Assistant Cook
'Looking forward to learning from you all, and sharing what little knowledge I've gleaned over these many years, thus far.

Happy New Year 2023, and... bon appétit! ?‍?

Welcome to Discuss Cooking. Tell us a little bit about yourself, especially what you like to cook and what kind of foods interest you.

Thanks, all, for the warm welcome.

I think it’s safe to admit that I am likely one of THE least accomplished cooks on this forum. My knowledge of culinary arts is almost depressingly lacking. I do, however, have over four decades’ experience in nuking various vittles via microwave, and I’m well versed in boiling a mean pot of water. Beyond that… (cue cacophony of chirping crickets).

I did manage to learn something today, thanks to you, TaxLady: raw eggs keep longer than boiled. I’ve always assumed it was the opposite. I stumbled upon this tidbit by searching the forums for a surefire method to keep the danged shells from sticking to the egg while peeling. I’ve heard adding baking soda helps, but I must not be holding my mouth right, because my luck is hit or miss, regardless. Any advice, or a link to any posts, here?

I think there is a Thread that covers everyone's opinion on how to hard boil eggs. LOL, you'll get an ear eyefull.
Rule #1. Do not use farm fresh eggs. (Universal rule, they are impossible to shell)*
after that a multitude of rules apply depending on who's telling you.
Starting at the fat end where the air pocket is. Crack the shell a lot, then I use a teaspoon to slide between the egg and shell. Works for me!

*I raised my own chickens for eggs at one time. I always kept a doz. at the back of the fridge to age about 2 weeks, just for hard boiled. If I didn't have them I went and bought :w00t:some to boil.

And yes, uncooked eggs, in their shells, keep longer than boiled. Shells are porous. When laid, the chicken deposits a coating on them to protect from bacteria. Boiling them removes this 'bloom', as it is commonly called, making the shells very susceptible to invasion.
In North America, store bought eggs are normally 'washed'. This makes it important to keep them in the fridge. In Europe they are not commonly washed and therefore often just kept on the counter.
Here endeth the quickie lesson.

Edit: more FYI
To help centre the yolk when boiled, if you can remember ( I never do) put the carton on its side the night before you boil them. It is not 100% but works enough to be impressive... and not get those yolks so close to the edge it makes it near impossible to get them out without tearing the whites. enjoy!

Last edited:
Hi and welcome! You will like it here; this community is very nice and helpful. I am a kinda new to the forum myself, but the vibe is nice. I am sure you will find answers to any questions you might have in no time. Happy New Year!

Back
Top Bottom