Hi! I'm brand new! Lamb is forgien to me..HELP!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jenjen

Assistant Cook
Hi!!!
I'm Jenjen and I love Food tv! I'm trying to cook more for my family and they are getting tired of chicken. (I am using the Sugar Busters diet if anyone is familiar with it!) I would like to try lamb, but I NEVER cooked it. I had it a few times at restaurants. Some made it very well..others...well years ago I had lamb at a New York eatery and I got sick!
What part of the lamb do you suggest to start with for a beginner like me? Lamb chops? Leg of lamb? Should I grill it..broil it fry it?

Any info would be great!
Thank you..I can tell already that I am going to love this board! :D

Hi,
I saw this on Wolfgang Puck's show, and have had great success with it.

1 boneless leg of lamb-opened flat.
1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
1 Tbsp. chopped garlic (I use 2 Tbsp)
1/4 cup finely chopped scallions
1 Tbsp. minced thyme leaves
1 Tbsp. Herbes de Provence
Freshly ground pepper
kosher salt

Pat lamb dry and place in a roasting pan
In a bowl, combine remaining ingredients, except salt.Stir to blend well. Pour over the lamb and make sure it is well covered with marinade. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours , turning the lamb over occasionally. ( I do a minimum of 6 hours)
Preheat one side of a gas grill to medium high.
Salt the lamb and place on hot grill for 15 mins on one side. Turn and cook for another 15 mins.
Move the meat to the unheated side of the grill and cover. Continue to cook to desired doneness. Check after meat has cooked a total of 45 mins and then again at 1 hour. Timing depends on the thickness of the meat.

Let stand covered for 15 mins before carving.

Enjoy! :D

Nowadays lamb is much milder than it used to be, and can be used in most pork or beef recipes. The leaner the cut, the milder the flavor, as a general rule.

But family-freindly is kabaobs. Buy and trim almost any cut (like I said, as a beginner look for something lean; trim most of the fat off if you're afraid of the gamy flavor. A leg is good for this, but inexpensive 'steak' cuts will work since you're trimming). Cut into either cubes or long, thin (about 3/4 inch wide, narrow). Then marinade the meat in red wine, garlic, herbs (thyme and rosemary would be my choice) for a few hours. If you use bamboo skewers, soak in water for at least 20 min to keep them from burning. If using cubes, alternate chunks of meat with wedges of onions, large garlic cloves, and bell pepper strips, and any other vegetable you like that will stay on a skewer. If you've done long thin strips, you thread them on the skewer as if sewing with a running stitch. Put on the grill ... the long, thin strips will really only take a few minutes per side. The cubes won't take too long either, maybe 6 per side for well done (I like it more rare, but that is an acquired taste).

To make this a complete, fun meal I recommend buying Near East brand taboule and couscous. They are very easy to make up, take no real time, and give an exotic touch to a meal. If you decide to do this, buy lots of fresh parsley for a pretty garnish that YOU EAT.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom