Hi! I'm new here

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

facsteacher

Assistant Cook
Middle Tennessee by way of Northeastern Ohio
Hi my name is Tracy and I am a high school Family & Consumer Sciences Teacher in Middle Tennessee. I have been married for 28 years and have 2 daughters. A couple of interesting facts about us are that we are all 3 at the same high school. My youngest is a 14 yr old freshman and my oldest (24 yrs) is also a teacher on staff (Spanish). It makes for a very interesting day sometimes. My oldest and her husband will be blessing us with our first grandchild in June.

I found this forum while googling ideas for my Nutrition and Foods class. I'm a second career teacher and am in my 6th year of teaching. This Fall will mark my 3rd semester of teaching the Nutrition and Foods and I am looking to make it more than just another elective class. I don't have a culinary background but I LOVE to cook and spend hours on line looking up recipes and cooking ideas. You would think that alone would make my class great but somedays I'm not so sure. Kids today have so many distractions they mainly take my class thinking they will get to "eat". I hope to reap alot of input from this forum and am open to any ideas that other experienced cooks can throw my way. I found the thread about "ideas for a successful HS cooking class" in my google search so that's a great start.

Glad I found you all and looking forward to getting to know everyone here. :)

Welcome. You should be able up get a lot of great ideas here. How wonderful that your school still offers a class like this for students. So many if the schools are doing away with these ever so important classes.

Welcome to DC, Tracy. Last year in the Ottawa, ON area, the local TV station did a series on "the lost arts." Cooking was one of the segments and how schools where trying to "introduce" kids to the kitchen because many parents do not cook. I think it is great you're trying to get kids interested in preparing food.

Welcome to DC! Home Ec was always (after Literature) my favorite class. I hope we can help with finding good, simple recipes for you and your class. and remember to play with your food.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom