Hi, I'm new here

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

scottsgravy

Assistant Cook
Looks like I finally found an active cooking forum with an attractive layout. This is great.

My favorite way to cook is to go into the kitchen, look in the fridge and start creating something from what's there.

I do have some regular dishes I like to make too. I will share one of my favorites.

Varni Potatoes - a old Italian recipe (I mean hundreds of years old) from the Varni family. They are friends of mine. I change the spices around a lot and use different kinds of potatoes. Here's the way I made it last time:

Overview: These are fast and easy. Just chop the taters, put some spices on 'em and throw 'em in a hot oven.

Food for: 2-4 people.

Time: 20 minutes.

You need:

- Four potatoes.
- Olive oil.
- A sprinkle of oregano, thyme, black pepper and curry powder.

Cut the potatoes...

- Turn on the oven. 450°.
- You want little wedges. So cut them in half and then into wedges. They should be about 1/4"-3/8" thick at the wide part. Thinner = crispier.

Put them on a cookie sheet...

- Put just enough olive oil on a cookie sheet to cover about half of the bottom of it. Don't worry, when you put the potatoes down they will spread the oil out the rest of the way.
- Lay the potato wedges down individually so they cover the cookie sheet in a single layer and are not stacked up.
- Sprinkle the spices over the potatoes. Just a think sprinkling is enough. Then put a little salt on them too.

Put 'em in the oven...

- Put your potato-filled cookie sheet in the oven for about 15 minutes.
- When the potatoes in the corners of the cookie sheet are looking a little black around the edges they're done.

Eat 'em with mayonnaise (ooh!), I mean ketchup!

Welcome scott, I hope you have a great time with us. That recipe looks really good. I think if a person can go into a kitchen and just throw things in a dish and it be delish. That is awsome. Me on the other hand.... Just can't do it, i have to follow it step by step. I will put some extras or fix it to where i think i will like it but thats it. I can not start from scratch with my own ideas. anyway i hope you have a good time here

Welcome to the site. We are glad you found us. Your recipe sounds great. It really caught my eye because Varney is my MIL's maiden name. She is not Italian though and spells it differently. You would never know she is not Italian from her cooking though. That is mostly what she makes and everything comes out great.

I am sure you will love our site. We look forward to hearing about some of the great dishes you have created from whatever you had in the fridge :)

Welcome here on this site. You´ll find so much friends and helping "hands" here.

I wish you a good time here, and a lot of ideas.........for you... or for us... :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Tanja

Hi scottsgravy. I'm glad you have joined us. I'm looking forward to more great recipes.

:) Barbara

anigrla2.gif

Welcome scottsgravy - I'm the recipe police - you have two posts and only 1 recipe - get moving and post those recipes! :mrgreen:

Hope you enjoy it here scottsgravy - bear with us while the site is changing - you might not be totally caught up on everything. If you can't login or the site just plain isn't there just keep trying. We will be switching to vBulletin soon. Hang in there with us!!!!! We need you here! In the Miscellaneous Forum I believe it was Nicole that was wanting a recipe for chicken gravy - take a look here if you get a chance.

Hey Scott! Glad you found us!
3Dbiggrinbandit.gif

This place will only get better. Stick around. 8)

Back
Top Bottom