High elevation help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

desireejv

Assistant Cook
:? HELP!
I bought a new house in August - at 3000 foot elevation. Almost none of my Christmas cookies and candies are coming out right! I don't have any instructions for alterations and most pre-made packages list high elevation directions at 3500 feet. Does anyone have suggestions or recipes for easy and quick Christmas treats? I'd really like to have a peanut brittle recipe, choc. chip cookie and divinity. None of these things are coming out right with my old directions! Thanks

Desiree
Typically at your elevatin the only adjustment you would have to make would be to extend your cooking time by about 10 percent. If you let us know the specific problems, we might be of more help. KitchenElf lives in the mountains and can proob give you better info.

Baking tips for higher elevations...

Hahahahahahahaha - maybe that's why I hate baking - I haven't adjusted any of my recipes!!!!!!!!!! Here is something to go by -

• -decreasing sugar by about 1 tablespoon for every 2000 feet of elevation.
    -increasing liquid by about 1 tablespoon for every 2000 feet of elevation.
    -increasing cake flour by about1 tablespoon for every 2000 feet of elevation starting after 2000 feet.
    -increasing the baking temperature about 3 degrees farenheit for every 1000 feet of elevation.
    -reducing the leavening agent by about one-fourth of the original measurement for every 2000 feet of elevation.

Thanks for the help. Specifically, any recipe that calls for butter doesn't rise. My choc. chip cookies look like pancakes and the recipe is my great grandmother's -who passed on several years ago (she could have solved this for me, I'm sure!) My fudge looks like choc. syrup and my divinity looks like sticky taffy. I've added, taken away, changed temps, increased fulid, decreased fluids - you name it. The problem is that I am "playing" with all of these alterations in each recipe because I don't know which improvement is going to work with which recipe. Kitchenelf has some great tips - but again they aren't recipe specific. Any help with specifics? I'm a great cook - as long as someone tells me exactly what to do or it comes from a great box! ;)

LOL Dove - We're right on the edge of the Foothills, beginning the Piedmont. More in the mountains that Bubba ;) that's for sure!!!

I've lost my mind Dove - I'm telling you about Hickory like you've never been here before!!! LOL If you think about the Eastern part of the state I would consider Hickory in the mountains too probably.

North Carolina

Having lived in Ca. most of my life except when my other half was in service, N.C.is the most beautiful state and so is Tenn.Since retirement we do a lor of R.V. travel. We have been in all but the 6 most northern states of the east coast. I would love to see New England in the fall. The Smokies are breathtaking in Oct. My first visit to Hickory and my husband's family was in 1954 and I did feel like we were in the mountains, so many trees and so many friendly peaple.If it wasn't for the humidity I would love to live thare.
LOL Dove

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom