High Iron Foods?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Red meat comes from mammals. Fish and poultry are not mammals. I hadn't thought about fish, but liver from fish would be good for iron. And if black caviar is high in iron, then I imagine that roe from other fish is high in iron too.

Don’t know anything about other fish. But salmon roe is not high in iron.

Any liver is high in iron, but that probably falls into red meat category.

But Black Caviar is not red meat and darn delicious, and very high in iron.

I picked up two pounds of lovely chicken livers at the fresh farm store nearby. I made pate out of it. I now wonder whether the bourbon I added to the pate will inhibit my iron absorption. ;)

I'm very fond of liver pate, but we are severely limiting liver in any form here. DH has gout and organ meats are a trigger for gout episodes.

Hi,

Looking for recommended foods that are high in iron but not red meat. Also simple additions to recipes that are also high in iron.

Thanks
Foods that are high in iron are carrots, spinach, brocooli, potatoes and some of the dishes are spinach with cottage cheese.

Hi jennyrose, Welcome to DC.

I usually keep in mind that orange vegies (carrots, sweet potatoes) and fruit (apricots, cantaloups) are high in iron as are the deep greens of kale (yuck) and spinach (yum).

jennyrose, FYI, the OP (original poster) only posted this question last year. I don't see that they have come back, perhaps you 'reviving' this thread will do it. You can see the date of the thread just above the poster's name. Don't mistake the date of the poster joining, LOL. That would make a lot of posts very old!

again, Welcome to DC!

Folks, imagine how SmallTalks is taking this argument. She asked for information, and is getting a pissing contest.
Let's stay on topic, keep the discussion civil, and make a new member feel welcome.
Welcome to the forum SmallTalks. This is not normal for our postings. Please stick around and find out how informative and nice we can be!

Hi Marlin, as I mentioned in the post just before you, this is a Thread started a year ago. Unfortunately the OP has probably already scooted. ;)

My suggestion is to eat one iron-rich meal a day... And nothing else for two hours before and after the meal. Liver and onions are the most traditional dishes with high iron content. Sulfur compounds in onions help absorb iron. It would help to cook it in a cast iron pan without seasoning and add an acid such as non-red cooking wine, tomatoes or vinegar. Adding greens high in carotene, such as parsley, broccoli or cilantro, would help. Adding onion or garlic will help.

1. Beans: black beans, lentils, chickpeas, and soybeans are all high in iron.
2. Nuts and Seeds: pumpkin seeds, cashews, pine nuts, and almonds are all good sources of iron.
3. Leafy Greens: Spinach, kale, Swiss chard, and collard greens are all high in iron.
4. Dried Fruits: Dried apricots, prunes, and raisins are all good sources of iron.
5. Quinoa: Quinoa is a great source of iron and is a great addition to any recipe.
6. Tofu: Tofu is a great source of iron and can be added to a variety of recipes.
7. Fortified Cereals: Many cereals are fortified with iron, making them a good source of iron.
8. Fortified Breads and Pastas: Many breads and pastas are fortified with iron, making them a good source of iron.
9. Shellfish: Oysters, clams, and mussels are all good sources of iron.
10. Dark Chocolate: Dark chocolate is a good source of iron, making it a great addition to recipes.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom