Hoisin Chicken Pancakes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheHummer

Cook
Another of my wife's favourites

For the pancakes
¾ cup flour
25 g butter, melted
¾ cup milk
2 eggs, lightly beaten

For the filling
2 single boned chicken breasts
1 tsp five spice
¼ cup Hoisin sauce
20 snow pea sprouts

1 Place the flour in a bowl and make a little well in the middle. Add the butter, milk and eggs to the flour. Whisk until smooth, then refrigerate for 1 hour.
2 Rub the chicken with the five spice. Heat the oil in a small frying pan and cook the chicken for 5 minutes each side, until cooked through. Remove from the heat. When cool enough to handle, chop finely. Mix the chopped chicken with the hoisin sauce.
3 Heat a small (approx. 18 cm ) pancake pan and grease with buttered paper. Pour approximately 1½ tablespoons of the pancake mixture into the pan and swirl to coat the base. Cook for 1 minute and then flip to cook the other side. Repeat this process, stacking the pancakes with a paper towel between them.
4 Place a heaped teaspoon of the filling in each pancake along with snow pea shoots, leaving the green leaves to show at one end. Roll tightly, folding in one end as you go.

Yield: 4 as a starter

Good recipe..
although I prefer green onions (sliced lengthwise) to snow pea sprouts. Do you have green onions in N.Z. ?
My problem is the availability of Hoisen sauce in C.R. where I have retired.
If anyone has a recipe for the sauce it would be appreciated

I use pea sprouts as my wife isn't a great fan of onions, but I think I've seen green onions about. As to Hoisin, one of the problems in making it yourself would be that the main ingredient is fermented soy beans, which by all accounts smell a bit.

Back
Top Bottom