Hoisin Marinade

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kitchenelf

Chef Extraordinaire
Hoisin Marinade

3 large cloves of minced garlic
2 teaspoons of fresh grated ginger
1/2 cup hoisin sauce
1/3 cup honey
1/3 cup soy sauce
3 TBS dry red wine
2 TBS chili garlic sauce (the Oriental chili sauce, not the chili sauce used for cocktail sauce)
splash of orange juice
1 tsp salt

Combine everything and use to marinate and/or a basting sauce.

NOTE - I'm doing a pork tenderoin today and I'll let you know how it is.

EDITED to say it turned out wonderful!! I just used a grill pan set on high, put in meat, grilled on all sides then placed in 475° oven for about 10 minutes. It has a really nice subtle heat to it and VERY flavorful.

Thanx 4 posting that marinade recipe Kithcenelf! Sounds yummy! Especialywith your choice of protein to have a bath in it! My memory is cloudy, (just curious) isn't Hoisin sauce a derivitive of Plum sauce or is that "Duck sauce"? Anyway, it's MM Good! Atomic Jed!

Well, without knowing for sure I'd say plum sauce off the top of my head. But I have never heard that so now you got me curious.... off to hunt that information. 8)

Congrates on your sucess Kithchenelf! How 'bout e-mail us all some! Did you let it "rest" Did you slice it into "medallions" so we all get a taste? LOL! Well, "Duck Sauce"=Water, sugar, corn syrup, Peaches, APRICOTS,and vinegar. No Plums. A.J. must be correct about the "Hoisin" Aren't we all a HOOT!? Atomic Jed!

LOL - I DID let it rest, I sliced into medallions, I set a taste out for everyone with name tags by each plate and apparently you ALL came by because they are all gone!!! :mrgreen:

GOOD NISS! Was it a Whole tenderloin? I didn't get mine! We must be a hungry bunch! Are we the "brady's" or the "Clampitts" "Jethro" must've been there! LOL! Atomic Jed!

kitchenelf, i made it last night and it was quite good! as i told you i substituted some *really* hot Mexican chili sauce 'cause i didn't have any of the other kind but took the amount down to a tbsp. the meat wasn't very hot, but there was a nice touch of heat back there. the marinade was really good boiled and drizzled over white rice. i'll let you guess as to how i cooked it ;) good recipe!

I had the is hoisin sauce a plum sauce argument with my beloved, and I won. It is actually a soy based sauce

hoisin sauce
A rich brownish-red Chinese sauce made from soybean paste, garlic, vinegar, sugar, and spices. Available in specialty markets and some supermarkets.

http://www.caprial.com/pages/recipes/glossary.html

Chinese plum sauce is a different thing again, and just as yummy!

Are you sure Kyles,? It's been a little while since I used that yummy Hoisin sauce, but I could swear,(I think) that it was a plum based sauce. I'd go to the grocery store right now to find out, but it's fixin' to snow here! the stores are Packed with paranoid people buyin' bread and milk! Possibly, different brands use differing ingredients? We'll find out, If i'm wrong, I'll eat Crow! LOL! Watch out Elf Yer probably gonna get snow too! Got milk? Ha ha!!! Atomic Jed!

kyles is absolutely right AJ. Hoison sauce is (essentially) Chinese Barbecue sauce that is made primarily of sooy paste. Plum sauce is a condiment originally made to be eaten with the skin of Peking duck, hence it's other name...duck sauce.

Blast It!!! It's about to start pourin' snow here, but by golly, I'm goin' to the grocery store right now!!! To prove, or dispell this! I'll tell Ya'll what I found, when I git back! Atomic Jed! Dad burn our hides! (the things we do for research, and friends!) A.J.!

O.K. ...I just got back from the store, now dig this, one brand is based on Prunes! the other was just as bubba, and Kyles said, but I Know (unless I'm losin' it) All the Hoisin sauce I've ever got were Plum based! I'm tearin' my long black hair out over this one!!! And "Duck Sauce" is Apricot, and Peach based. (said the label) Whew, I got some mighty funny looks walkin' in the store with an impending snowstorm, and didn't buy a thing! (just stood there readin' labels!) A.J. is DEDICATED!!! Gotta Love US! Atomic Jed!

LOL A.J. - I wish you would have picked up some eggs for me!! I have lots of meat and some veggies but no eggs. I love an omelet on a snowy morning!!! At least I have coffee - in the long run that's all that really matters :)

Gosh KitchenElf! I've got 2 dozen! (eggs) (almost) shoot I'd make us All an omelet, if yull make the coffee! Git ready, here comes the snow! I got cheese too! You got milk?! Smile with a white lip if you do! Do you, or anyone have a recipe for "Snow Ice Cream"? I know, the main rule is... don't use "Yellow Snow"!!!! LOL! Atomic Jed!

Snow Cream Recipe link

Here you go A.J. - it's how we made it growing up. Sometimes my mom would use milk, or whipping cream, or evaporated milk - it just depended on what we had in the house.

Snow Cream

Thanx 4 the recipe Kitchenelf!!! I'm a bit leary of makin' it though, worried about pollutants, trapped in the moisture. Not like when we were kids, a far cleaner planet we had yeah? but if'n I drink a few more of these cans 'o' liquid, I'll try it, maybe add some Hoisin sauce! LOL! Hope you got an omelet! More snow comin'! :D Atomic Jed!

I forget what they say now - I think it's the second day of snow you can eat. The first day sort of "cleaned" the air. I look at it this way. We don't get much snow - Eating a tad bit creates a far greater memory - :)

It is still peppering down here - quite beautiful but alas, no eggs. I had to have a brunch of sushi - dang - ;)

What's it doing in your area?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom