Holiday Baking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Somebunny

Executive Chef
Do you do it? What are your favorites or traditions?

I always have grand aspirations, but never quite get as much accomplished as I wish. I would love to hear your stories :yum:

The holidays wouldn't be complete without making a batch of sugar cookies with my mom's recipe (from a lady back home).

I make a bunch of toffee every year and give that away.

I also make sugar coated pecans, or what I call "meshuga" nuts! :LOL:

Other than that I usually make whatever sounds good at the time. I often make a really awesome Cook's illustrated butter cookie recipe.

The holidays wouldn't be complete without making a batch of sugar cookies with my mom's recipe (from a lady back home).

I make a bunch of toffee every year and give that away.

I also make sugar coated pecans, or what I call "meshuga" nuts! :LOL:

Other than that I usually make whatever sounds good at the time. I often make a really awesome Cook's illustrated butter cookie recipe.

BC, when I was baking sugar cookies for the holidays, I found if I roll out the dough on the cookie sheet directly and then put it in the fridge to firm up, it was easier to cut the shapes and remove the inbetween dough scraps. That way I didn't have to transfer the cutouts to the cookie sheet. Someone once gave me a toy rolling pin as a gag. Little do they know how handy it is when rolling dough out on the cookie sheet. I can get right up into the corners with it. :angel:

BC, when I was baking sugar cookies for the holidays, I found if I roll out the dough on the cookie sheet directly and then put it in the fridge to firm up, it was easier to cut the shapes and remove the inbetween dough scraps. That way I didn't have to transfer the cutouts to the cookie sheet. Someone once gave me a toy rolling pin as a gag. Little do they know how handy it is when rolling dough out on the cookie sheet. I can get right up into the corners with it. :angel:

I just may give that a try next time, Thanks!

Knowing me I'll remember to try it once all of the cookies are baked and out of the oven....

I just may give that a try next time, Thanks!

Knowing me I'll remember to try it once all of the cookies are baked and out of the oven....

Stick a note on your recipe. And the next time you are out, pick up a toy rolling pin. :angel:

Here are my favorites;

Roasted nuts
Wax cookies
Mexican wedding cakes
Rainbow popcorn balls
Peanut butter cups
Harvest bars
Grammy cookies
Honeycomb crunch
Chocolate fudge
Sugar cookies
Quick breads

These are the things I typically make, and I may have forgotten some. I like to give baked goods as gifts to friend's, co-workers, family, and neighbors.

Gotta have snickerdoodles. After that, I make vinegar cookies,(I know.. but they are wonderful). Then whatever else i think would be fun and tasty.

Tradition requires seven different cookies -- krumkake, rosettes, sandbakkler, lefse (okay--not a cookie, but smeared with butter, sprinkled with brown sugar and rolled up it qualifies as a cookie), sugar cookies, Lebkuechen, Peppernuts (not the German ones--the Swedish ones). And, I usually make Spritz (so that makes 8 if you don't count lefse as a cookie).

I like to make pies for the holidays. I made a pecan pie today and may make an apple pie tomorrow. SO has baked a pumpkin roll and Armenian holiday cookies. Following Thanksgiving, more holiday cookies, and another pie or two. SO may make paklava and I may make a cheesecake. It all depends on the holiday party and dinner schedule.

If I make cookies, it'll be walnut chocolate chip, oatmeal raisin with nuts, lemon shortbread. If SO makes cookies, it'll be anise cookies and pizzelles.

Last edited:
Another thread reminded me that I always make Carmel corn in the microwave too.

Somebunny said:
Chopper, can you share how you make it in the microwave? I live caramel corn!

There is a thread called Microwave Recipes that I posted the recipe. I don't know how to link to it, so I will copy and paste it here for you. I'll be right back.

Somebunny said:
Chopper, can you share how you make it in the microwave? I live caramel corn!

Here is the post:

Microwave Carmel Corn

6-8 cups popped corn
1 stick butter or margarine (melted)
1cup brown sugar
1/4 cup light Karo syrup
1/2 teaspoon salt

Put all but the popped corn in a 2 quart glass bowl. Bring to boil in microwave. Boil for 3 minutes.
Remove and stir in 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda (let the kids watch-it's kinda cool, but watch out-it's really hot!)
Pour over popcorn in a paper bag sprayed with Pam.
Shake!
Put the bag in the microwave and cook on high for one minute. Take out and shake!
Put it back in for another minute on high. Take out and shake again.
Now do the same thing again, but cooking for only 30 seconds this time and shake again. Repeat the 30 seconds one time.
Spread it out on a cookie sheet and let cool.
SO good!

Cheers for the recipe Chops :)

Here is the post:

Microwave Carmel Corn

6-8 cups popped corn
1 stick butter or margarine (melted)
1cup brown sugar
1/4 cup light Karo syrup
1/2 teaspoon salt

Put all but the popped corn in a 2 quart glass bowl. Bring to boil in microwave. Boil for 3 minutes.
Remove and stir in 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda (let the kids watch-it's kinda cool, but watch out-it's really hot!)
Pour over popcorn in a paper bag sprayed with Pam.
Shake!
Put the bag in the microwave and cook on high for one minute. Take out and shake!
Put it back in for another minute on high. Take out and shake again.
Now do the same thing again, but cooking for only 30 seconds this time and shake again. Repeat the 30 seconds one time.
Spread it out on a cookie sheet and let cool.
SO good!

Butter cut out cookies
gingerbread men
chocolate/walnut fudge
peanut butter fudge
peppermint bark
peanut brittle
few coffee cakes
butterscotch/walnut balls
mince meat tarts

Latest posts

Back